hperticarati

Symbols being unlinked without reason

I've been making some experiments, trying to design a new version to the open source software Inkscape.

For that, I'm using symbols feature a lot: I have an artboard with the icons I'm designing, and another artboard with the actual UI where they are used. All my icons are symbols, and I copy them to the other artboard, so I can look at my icon set as whole, but I can also look at he icons applied to the UI.

Using symbols inside constraint groups are not being as delightful as it could be (I have another opened thread about this: 

But now I'm facing a whole new problem with symbols:

All symbols in one of the artboards are spontaneously disconnecting from the "master symbol", so if I change one icon, the change won't appear in the UI.

Apparently, this could have happened when duplicating the UI artboard a couple of times.

Unfortunately, it is a very tedious task to start replacing all the icons manually.

Had anybody hear passed by a similar situation?

Hi hperticarati

We are aware of both the issue with symbols and constraints and with duplicating artboards de-syncing symbols. Just out of curiosity how are you duplicating the artboards? I have bumped both of these reports, we are slowly getting this improved but hopefully we can get more of this sorted soon

Cheers

5 hours ago, Chris_K said:

Just out of curiosity how are you duplicating the artboards?

Hi Chris_K! Thanks for answering :)

I usually press cmd+J and then drag the artboard, or I hold option key while dragging the name of the artboard on the viewport.

Unfortunately, I can't tell which one caused the unlinking, because I use both methods regularly.