You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curated list of Free for Commercial Use Fonts

Mithferion

7 hours ago, DEWLine said:

Well, Gotham...Metropolis...that was akin to waving a cape in front of any IP lawyer with any basic North American comics knowledge. There are more obscure names at hand. But I digress.

Metropolis is also the name of a movie from Fritz Lang (Germany), mid to late 1920's. Probably well before the US Batman comics were created (late 1930's or early 1940's? if I am correct). So I doubt the IP laywers would be able to uphold any copyright claim about the Metropolis name. Not to mention it is an old Greek (and Latin) word as well which makes it even more difficult to patent/copyright "Metropolis" imho. For a font named Gotham that might be different.

Oth, all an IP lawyer may need to do is threaten to file a case in court to make the other party give in because they can't afford the costs of a lawsuit.

On 4/4/2021 at 4:52 AM, Arte said:

Oth, all an IP lawyer may need to do is threaten to file a case in court to make the other party give in because they can't afford the costs of a lawsuit.

I think this is the case. Which is unfortunate.

Best regards!

On 4/9/2020 at 6:45 PM, lmarcos said:

Pali is copyrighted but free. It's the only one so far I have found with accented petite capitals. http://www.softerviews.org/Fonts.html

Cardo is another nice one https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Cardo/employee monitoring

And Linux Libertine.

oh, these are good! Thank you
Mahakampa got me very hooked 😁😁

On 4/3/2021 at 9:43 PM, DEWLine said:

Well, Gotham...Metropolis...that was akin to waving a cape in front of any IP lawyer with any basic North American comics knowledge. There are more obscure names at hand. But I digress.

Not so cut and dry actually:

Gotham: Wiktionary

So Why Do We Call it Gotham Anyway?

The Etymology of "Gotham"

And of course as was stated Fritz Lang was the first to make "Metropolis" famous (it translates as "Mother State" or "Mother City" btw).

With that brief bit of pedantry out of the way, I highly recommend Typewolf's Definitive Guide to Free Fonts, a massive list of free alternatives to more "established" typefaces, also his site is great in general for typophiles.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another round of Fonts that some might find useful:

It seems I can no longer edit the Topic, but well, I'll see if Moderators can grant me permission once again. :)

Best regards!

On 2/25/2018 at 10:35 PM, Mithferion said:

It’s perhaps worth noting that there are five other ParaType families available from Google Fonts: PT Sans, PT Sans Narrow, PT Sans Caption, PT Mono, and PT Serif Caption.

https://fonts.google.com/?query=ParaType

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

It’s perhaps worth noting that there are five other ParaType families available from Google Fonts: PT Sans, PT Sans Narrow, PT Sans Caption, PT Mono, and PT Serif Caption.

https://fonts.google.com/?query=ParaType

No doubt, it's just that I do a selection among the Fonts made by a Designer/Foundry. :)

Best regards!

• 4 weeks later...

Respect! Many thanks for the great work.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

On 5/20/2021 at 12:02 PM, PAUL R FONTENOT said:

I have been trying to find out what that HUGE sans serif font is that MSNBC uses for their titles on shows like "THE ELEVENTH HOUR" with Brian Williams.

Do you know the name of this font?

Is it available commercially or for private use?

Looks like it could be Helvetica Now.

Helvetica_Now.png.04dc7dd9774471fde83f8a66809470fa.png

26 minutes ago, PAUL R FONTENOT said:

It took a while to find a site where you can actually download this:  but here it is for what this is worth:

For this particular topic, it's not really relevant, I'm afraid, as you only get a non-commercial license.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For this particular topic, it's not really relevant, I'm afraid, as you only get a non-commercial license.

It used to be also free for Commercial purposes. Too bad they changed their mind.

Best regards!

18 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

According to Monotype's Twitter account commercial use is OK.

According to the EULA you have to agree to before you download it, it's not. I would trust the wording on the official EULA, not a Twitter account.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

According to the EULA you have to agree to before you download it, it's not.

I assumed there was going to be a conflict between then and now.

Unfortunately the original ZIP I downloaded right when it was released is corrupted. (had some disk corruption awhile back)
Wanted to see what it said in there, but no go.

That’s back when you could get it for $0.00

Back then you would receive an official receipt as if it had been a regular purchase.

Best regards!