You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curated list of Free for Commercial Use Fonts

Mithferion

Hi!

Another year, another set of fonts. Before that, want to let you know:

• I made another revision on each and every link, to verify that the Font(s) is(are) still available. Sadly, I had to take some out
  • Had to correct some links
  • Also, verified if the number of Fonts had increased (something that happens on Google Fonts)
  • And also, to provide a better experience, if some people are using the service, where possible, I changed the link to Google Fonts as well

Without further due, here is what I bring today (they are already on the Original Topic)

• DISPLAY - Centenario v0.1
  • HEADLINES - D-DIN-PRO (Based on D-DIN)
  • SANS SERIF - Jones* (Has some issues with ï and í characters at Light Weight)
  • SANS SERIF - Source Sans 3 (An update to Source Sans Pro with more weights)
  • SERIF - Gentium Plus (Has bigger language support that its Basic cousins)
  • SERIF - Crimson Pro (New design loosely based on Crimson Text)

Best regards!

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Wanted to share a new Geometric Sans Serif to the list.

I saw this Typeface before but it didn't include italics, but since now it has them it seemed to me that it was the right time to mention it here.

Also, new update to the list: I included a link to Fonts In Use when applicable so that people can look at some real life works.

Best regards!

• 3 months later...

Hi!

To celebrate the release of 2.1 (not really related, but well...), I bring another selection of Fonts to add to this list.

I'll update the main list later.

Best regards!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!

Here we have a couple more Typefaces to add to the list. Two Sans Serif goodies this time:

• HEADLINES -  Geologica - A good Geometric Typeface, saldly with no italics (maybe there is an update in the future). I installed the Auto variant of this Font, included in the Google Fonts download. You can have a more traditional geometric design if you select the Cursive Shapes Stylistic Set

image.png.56f8d99465b1dad679badcd3642c63bc.png

• SANS SERIF -  Urbanist - Another Geometric Typeface, but this time it includes italics. I link to the GitHub page because it has an important correction (at least to me) in the upper case S, because the one in Google Fonts has a wider top section that doesn't look that good:

image.png.c58b324ccb848ec663b434a8736ec798.png

Best regards!

Hi there!

I couldn't resist to bring some more Fonts to the Forums (hope you don't mind). So, here we have:

The main Topic has already been updated.

Best regards!.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much for this list!

Platform: MacBook Pro 15-inch, 2017, Silver (Macbook Pro 14,3)

CPU: 2,9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

GPU: Radeon Pro 560 4 GB

Integrated GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

RAM: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Mobile Devices: iPad 8th Gen, 32 GB, Space Gray + Apple Pencil 1st Gen

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

Not much to add here, just a couple of good Typefaces:

• SANS SERIF - Be Vietnam Pro - It's a Neo-grotesque that has italics and it has single story and double story "a".

image.png.ed04752b4d5e4aa2236cb19f1c8003ef.png

Best regards!.

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

In preparation for the 2.3 release (totally unrelated, but just an excuse) I bring other Fonts that might prove useful for you:

But first. I want to let you know that Inter reached Version 4.0. It includes the known Styles as well as a Display Fonts set.

Now, the new Fonts:

• SANS SERIF - NeverMind
  • SANS SERIF - NeverMind Compact
  • HEADLINES - NeverMind Contrast

The whole package of the NeverMind Super Family is in the GitHub repository. Included are several Typefaces from different categories. I only point here to the ones I see as the best ones.

The main Topic has already been updated.

Best regards!.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Some Typefaces get updated over time and expanded as well. That's the case for the Ubuntu Typeface and it's presented as Ubuntu Sans. It now has 16 styles for the normal width and 16 for the Condensed version. It's available in the GutHub repo:

Very good news for those who use it and love it.

Best regards!

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, harmanyeri said:

As someone new to design, I'd like to know which types of fonts are recommended for commercial use to ensure complete legal safety?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @harmanyeri. :)

As stated in the original post to this thread:

On 2/25/2018 at 10:35 PM, Mithferion said:

The criteria I had in order to come up with this list:

• They have to be either Free or Open Source Fonts.
  • They can be used in commercial projects (some restrictions may vary from Font to Font, so be sure to read first). I made my best to ensure this point, but I could be wrong and I'd be more that happy if you let me know if I made a mistake.
  • No attribution required.
  • In some cases (Serif and Sans Serif), they have to have more than two weights (at least one italic included).
  • Support for Spanish characters like Á, Ü, ¿¡!?, Ññ (since I speak Spanish, this was mandatory, but there are many more good Fonts that don't cover this criteria).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

29 minutes ago, harmanyeri said:

Thank you for your response. My question pertains to the preferance between the types of fonts—such as Free or Open Source Fonts—as mentioned by @Mithferion in the initial post, and their sources.

Thanks for the clarification. As far as I’m aware, in terms of “legal safety” with regard to commercial use, there is no difference. Free fonts are freely available for use; open source fonts can also be modified and redistributed by the user, which is not generally true of fonts or other computer software.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 3/22/2024 at 2:55 AM, harmanyeri said:

Thank you for your response. My question pertains to the preferance between the types of fonts—such as Free or Open Source Fonts—as mentioned by @Mithferion in the initial post, and their sources.

Hi!

Fonts that are being published under the SIL Open Font License can be considered the "safest", meaning that you can create Documents, Logos, Images or Videos with them with no worries at all, which are the main things you could create as a designer. But other free Fonts can include such terms and rights so that's why they can be just as safe to use. For example, I can consider that Ilisarniq's License is safe to use for Design purposes (see the EULA section).

But still, Fonts that are not freely available under the  SIL Open Font License could include some kind of limitations, it's best to take a look at what they allow you to do.

Hope that helps.

Best regards!

5 hours ago, The Artifex Forge said:

What a great idea - this must have taken ages to put together!

Thanks!

Well, this is something I started doing in 2017 and I still update the Topic once in a while (shortly I will do so, by the way).

I'm glad this is of use. :)

Best regards!

And here it is.

Some new Fonts added to the list:

• HEADLINES - Wanted Sans (Std) - It contains 2 versions, one with support for Korean language and the Std version, which contains the latin characters support. It has support for single story and double story "a".

image.png.cb4eef5e267c0c48e220358c294eb8d8.png

image.png.63f2577b204e658f39ff6c71180bc611.png

• SANS SERIF - Reddit Sans - A Sans Serif with a mix of Geometric and Humanist forms. Mostly Geometric. Contains three styles, described as Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry and Fudge, with variations for some of the characters.

image.png.1e5de81e9d99cfea4c2a8e4677790c61.png

Best regards!