You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Watched Affinity tutorial that used the Magnifier Tool at the bottom (left) of the Tools column for zooming in and out . 

I don't have that on my screen. How do I find it? 

The bottom tool on my screen is "Tear Tool" and just above that is "Pen Tool."

On Windows, I don't have the tear tool as a separate item. In Affinity Photo it's there as a pullout from the rectangle tool, and in Affinity Designer the tear tool is a pullout from the triangle tool. And my pen tool, in either app, is higher on the tool list.

I'm not sure what the defaults are for Mac, nor have you told us which OS or application you have. But perhaps you have used View->Customize Tools to change the tools that are displayed, and omitted the Magnifier? In any case, View->Customize Tools should let you add it to your list of tools.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

35 minutes ago, Edwa said:

The bottom tool on my screen is "Tear Tool" and just above that is "Pen Tool."

Go to the View menu, choose 'Customize Tools' and set the number of columns to 2.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 hours ago, toltec said:

It/s definitely gown there, somewhere.

But it probably is not wearing formal attire. :P (Sorry, I could not resist.)

More seriously, you can also use the keyboard shortcut (default z key) to switch to the Zoom tool. There is also a keyboard shortcut to temporarily switch to it but it is slightly tricky to invoke:

First, hold down the spacebar to temporarily invoke the View (hand) Tool, then hold down the Alt/Option or CMD key (Mac) to temporarily switch to it. (You have to press the spacebar before the modifier key for this to work.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

Yes, I really must a-dress my poor typing. I been skirting around the issue for too long.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Does the Michelin man wear formal attire? :P (Sorry, I could not resist.)

19 minutes ago, toltec said:

Yes, I really must a-dress my poor typing. I been skirting around the issue for too long.

Ahem! I am not at all sure that these comments belong with the other material in this thread.

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, toltec said:

Your wearing me down.

So you’re no longer in the pink of condition?

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, toltec said:

No. And your earlier comments about material and thread have really given me the needle.

Well, I’m reely sorry about that!

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

Well, I’m reely sorry about that!

You need to cotton on to how much offense it could cause. Otherwise whole relationships could become unraveled, or so it seams to me.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

44 minutes ago, toltec said:

You need to cotton on to how much offense it could cause. Otherwise whole relationships could become unraveled, or so it seams to me.

Yes, some people could easily get quite crotchety about the whole thing.

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I used "customize tool bar" to get rid of some icons until magnifier appeared at bottom.  There is no option for making two columns in the customize window.  

What does "default Z" mean|?  I know that Cntrl Z is an undo function.  Also, I discovered that the Navigator button. lower right shows a Zoom slider. 

The Z key on the keyboard is the default keyboard shortcut for switching to the Zoom Tool (the magnifier). The View menu > Customize Tools window should have a popup selector for the number of columns. At least on Macs, it is to the left of the Reset & Close buttons.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1) Thanks.  The columns choice is in the Customize Tools and I was clicking on Customize Toolbar.  

2) The ctrl +/_ works great.  It is shown in the keyboard strokes shown in the View/Zoom.  Sorry I didn't see that before.

3) The Z key does bring up zoom + . Is there a way to make it - (minus)?  Not important since I know the keyboard strokes now.

24 minutes ago, Edwa said:

3) The Z key does bring up zoom + . Is there a way to make it - (minus)?

Hold down the Alt/Option key, or whatever the Windows equivalent is if it is different from Macs. The Status Bar at the bottom of the window should briefly list the options available.

Affinity Photo 

36 minutes ago, Edwa said:

3) The Z key does bring up zoom + . Is there a way to make it - (minus)?

The Z key merely invokes the Zoom Tool. Whether you zoom in or out is controlled by the direction of movement of the cursor.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

The Z key merely invokes the Zoom Tool. Whether you zoom in or out is controlled by the direction of movement of the cursor.

I don't know if it is the same for Windows but on Macs, there is a Tools > Use 'scrubby' zoom preference setting. Only if that is enabled does clicking & scrubbing the tool cursor left or right do that.

If it is not enabled then clicking without dragging zooms in around the point of the click & Alt/Option clicking zooms out around that point (& the tool cursor plus symbol changes to a minus). Clicking & dragging creates a shaded rectangular selection area; when the button is released the view zooms to that area. If 'scrubby' zoom is enabled, clicking without dragging zooms in around the point of the click & Alt/Option clicking without dragging zooms out around that point. Alt/Option clicking & dragging creates a shaded rectangular selection area; when the button is released the view zooms to that area. The Status Bar info changes depending on the 'scrubby' setting, which makes it less confusing than it might otherwise be.

Another helpful feature is double-clicking on the Zoom Tool icon on the Tool panel zooms to 100%. Together with the Context Toolbar slider, the Navigator panel slider & its advanced options, & the keyboard shortcuts for zooming to certain preset zoom levels, there are so many different ways to zoom that just listing them all is a chore! :)

Affinity Photo