You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer keyboard shortcuts

When working in the Layers panel, I would love to be able to use the keyboard for certain operations like

• moving up and down in the layer tree with arrow key
  • selecting layers by typing their names
  • renaming a layer by hitting F2
  • moving layers up and down by hitting Ctrl+Up / Ctrl+Down (or Alt, maybe in combination with Shift)
  • selecting layers by holding down the Shift key and using the arrow keys afterwards

There might be more useful appliances for keyboard shortcuts. ;)

23 hours ago, Vince42 said:

When working in the Layers panel, I would love to be able to use the keyboard for certain operations like

• moving up and down in the layer tree with arrow key
  • selecting layers by typing their names
  • renaming a layer by hitting F2
  • moving layers up and down by hitting Ctrl+Up / Ctrl+Down (or Alt, maybe in combination with Shift)
  • selecting layers by holding down the Shift key and using the arrow keys afterwards

There might be more useful appliances for keyboard shortcuts. ;)

Could you remap the Ctrl+] and Ctrl+[ keys to Ctrl+Up/Ctrl+Down ?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I prefer shortcuts that make logical sense. And don't require an English keyboard; that's too 80s.

When it comes to up, down, right and left, I re-assign to arrow keys, which somehow help me remember which combination of other keys to use.

I'm disappointed, that there doesn't seem to be an option to similarly via a keyboard shortcut toggle the selection in the layers panel with the keyboard and select some layers - as in file managers. For example, it will help a lot when we create groups where the shortcut exists to create or release the group. When working with many, many, many layers, mouse or pen or whatever is far from always a fast tool.

shortcut for renaming layers? Yes please. You should be able to press Enter on macOS or F2 on Windows to rename a layer, which are the system keyboard shortcuts for these respective operating systems. And find rename in the context sensitive menu.

These shortcuts work much better for me on macOS (where control + arrows are reserved for macOS):

image.png.1d0022ccae5b963356a6186e96072636.png

3 hours ago, Customer Feedback said:

shortcut for renaming layers? Yes please. You should be able to press Enter on macOS or F2 on Windows to rename a layer, which are the system keyboard shortcuts for these respective operating systems. And find rename in the context sensitive menu.

I agree completely.

Another thing to consider is the Select section. We have the ability to select, with keyboard shortcuts, which layer to move as well.

1951534589_ScreenShot2022-07-31at7_33_28AM.png.d048bcc7efe4a6b47e0cc0782c992bbe.png

So a Rename keyboard shortcut would be wonderfull, preferably with the ability to script it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Another thing to consider is the Select section. We have the ability to select, with keyboard shortcuts, which layer to move as well.

1951534589_ScreenShot2022-07-31at7_33_28AM.png.d048bcc7efe4a6b47e0cc0782c992bbe.png

Thx Old? Bruce 🙂

There they are! Unfortunately, I had overlooked these. I need to slow down and be more thorough. 🙄 Thanks, I've assigned most of them shortcuts now.

I also need to be able to mark several layers and mass rename, e.g. mark 10 layers and name them 'bricks', and other 10 and call them cement. Hair. Sky. Highlights. Reflection. Anything.

Cheers