You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

17 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The lines are gone because the triangles are gone! If you want to adjust the shapes, there’s no way to do it after you’ve added them together: you have to go back to the original triangles, make your adjustments, create copies as described earlier and then add them together again.

Well i exported it as eps and imported it in illustrator and i got wanted result (screenshoot). But I cannot get it in affinity. I adjusted triangles with node tool so they overlap eachother, than i used "add" operation to join them into one shape, than lines dissapeared/they are gone. Sorry i am not so experienced user but after "add" opertaion should i use original triangles to substract the shape i got or?Screenshot_6.thumb.png.d61995e70372cc9d11adbca6e13b6a52.png

I don’t think you should actually be using ‘Add’ at all for this! If I’ve understood what you’re trying to do, you should simply select all of the triangles and group them: any fill that you subsequently choose will be applied to the group as a whole.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

31 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That’s the problem in a nutshell, isn’t it? The developers are never going to please everyone!

I do not think there is any way they can. We can't even all agree on the most appropriate terminology, much less the optimal visual details of the UI. Add the requirements for internationalization, the variability of screen sizes & hardware configurations, & all the requests for ever more preference options for just about anything someone might like, & it seems an impossible task.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, Alfred said:

I don’t think you should actually be using ‘Add’ at all for this! If I’ve understood what you’re trying to do, you should simply select all of the triangles and group them: any fill that you subsequently choose will be applied to the group as a whole.

Yes i did that already. I grouped all triangles. But If i would sell such design, wouldnt it all triangles need to be in one single shape which you could than edit with pen tool. I am sorry i can not explain it better but i hope you get what im trying to say.

6 minutes ago, tterihaj said:

Yes i did that already. I grouped all triangles. But If i would sell such design, wouldnt it all triangles need to be in one single shape which you could than edit with pen tool. I am sorry i can not explain it better but i hope you get what im trying to say.

It looks as though you need advice from someone who knows Illustrator. I’ve never used it.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, tterihaj said:

But If i would sell such design, wouldnt it all triangles need to be in one single shape which you could than edit with pen tool.

Edit how? Do you want a single shape filled with a single color (or gradient) & an overlay of unfilled triangles (just strokes) creating the triangulated pattern, or something else?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

Edit how? Do you want a single shape filled with a single color (or gradient) & an overlay of unfilled triangles (just strokes) creating the triangulated pattern, or something else?

I would want an overlay of unfilled triangles (just strokes) creating the triangulated pattern

15 minutes ago, tterihaj said:

I would want an overlay of unfilled triangles (just strokes) creating the triangulated pattern

You could do that as @Alfred suggested in this earlier post. Alternately, using the Pen Tool & snapping draw a closed shape that duplicates the outermost edges of the triangles at the edges of the overall deer shape. Send that to be bottom of the layer stack & fill it with the (single) color you want the deer to have. Select all the triangles & remove any fill colors they might have. Putting them all into a Group layer (everything except the overall deer shape layer) would make that easier if you need to do that.

But keep in mind that this will not make it any easier for a buyer to edit the triangulated pattern. Each triangle is still independent of all the others, so adjusting the pattern will require selecting each of three colocated nodes of three adjacent triangles & moving them to the same new location.

Affinity Photo 

12 minutes ago, owenr said:

A Rhino polycurve is far more sophisticated than you imagine. It contains the constituent segments (lines, arcs, NURBS curves, etc) from which it was created by joining the segments. It can be exploded to these segments, or specific segments can be extracted or duplicated.

Thanks for confirming what I’ve always understood by the term!

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

I’m afraid I can’t agree with the concluding sentence in that paragraph. If you refer to the definitions on this page from Rhino, you’ll see that the word “polycurve” is not used in the descriptions of the InterpCrv and Sketch methods, despite the fact that the resultant curves clearly have more than two nodes. I think it’s simply that their definition of a polycurve is poorly worded: if you “combine” any two curves, or if you “add” two non-overlapping curves, you get a polycurve.

The crucial difference between a polycurve and an ordinary multi-node curve is you can break it apart to revert to the constituent objects.

Alfred spacer.png

I used Illustrator a little for many years. My recollection, recently refreshed by questions here, is that AI handles lines between nodes in a way that is very different than AD. When one creates a set of nodes, they define the perimetry of an area. That area can have both a fill and a stroke. In AI, the nodes form a mesh, not a perimeter, with nodes being the connecting points for multiple lines.

In AD, multiple nodes can be in the same position. When selected all at one, they can be moved to another location, maintaining the polygon perimeters. I've done some quick experiments, and found that AD low poly shapes can be exported as .svg, .pdf, and .eps files. I can manipulate the points of the .svg and .pdf with Inkscape. I don't have anything that lets me edit .eps at the node level, so I cant tell how the data is being exported, tho' I can tell the individual triangles are there.

It may be that an exported group can be edited if the editing software can select multiple nodes at the same place. So no need to add, just group.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

4 hours ago, owenr said:

A Rhino polycurve is far more sophisticated than you imagine. It contains the constituent segments (lines, arcs, NURBS curves, etc) from which it was created by joining the segments. It can be exploded to these segments, or specific segments can be extracted or duplicated.

So what does the contents of a Rhino polycurve have to do with renaming Affinity Curves layers to Polycurves? How would that be less confusing? 297.gif

Affinity Photo 

9 minutes ago, owenr said:

Are you demented? It was you who introduced Rhino to this thread!!!

I will leave the discussion of if (or more like how) demented I might be for another time. 84.gif

But please note that demented or not, I was not the one who suggested that if Serif had called Affinity "Curves" layers "polycurves" instead (as they did in the Plus range of software), doing that would reduce the confusion about what kind of layer it designates. It clearly would not do that for users more familiar with Rhino polycurves & their ilk than with Plus polycurves, which is why I mentioned it.

Plus, since Affinity already has a "Polygon" layer designator & the designator often gets truncated in the Layers panel, neither "Curves" nor "Polycurve" is a good solution for that problem. That takes us back to the problem in a nutshell commentary on page 1. If anyone has a practical solution for any of this (nomenclature or UI design) they think most users would like, I would love to hear what it might be.

Affinity Photo