Macmonkey

Brush Delay on 12.9 iPad Pro (1st Gen)

Hey there, great job you guys on squeezing all this functionality onto the iPad !!

I'm hoping to use this for digital painting but I seem to be experience a brush delay at the start of all my strokes which is especially noticeable when drawing finer details. Try drawing small circles and you should see the issue. I have tried using all sorts of brushes and have restarted my iPad and tried using my finger rather than the apple pencil but it the issue still persists. I hope that you can figure out a solution.

many thanks in advance

Dave.

I see this with fine brush and very small circle. Circle almost finished before it apppears.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB iOS 12.4. Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 Affinity Design 1.7.2.6 Publisher for iPad ?

I think there’s still some issues to sort out with the brushes.

i’ll be posting another vid this week with a prob that has been addressed but not nailed.  I now see your prob after DM1 pointed out, with fine brush stroke. 

Hi all

With such small circle I believe the app is taking an extra moment to differentiate between a single press and a line. We do know about these issues with using very small srokes so hopefully we can come up with an effective solution in the future

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I've got this issue as well on an iPad Pro v2 12.9".  It's especially evident when trying to do some handwritten annotation on a relatively low resolution screenshot. There is considerable lag between the stroke being done and seeing the result which makes writing words very difficult, and the lower case letter 'o' in particular comes out as a tiny dot instead of the full loop most of the time. Please let me know if you want me to post examples / videos. Fingers crossed you can work out a solution!

Hi I’ve been experiencing seriously delayed brush response on a piece of work and I’m not drawing tiny circles just a stroke across the canvas. Admittedly I’m using a large canvas (2mtrx1mtr 70ppi). I did notice that I got a much smoother line if I used my Finger to draw instead of my Apple Pencil, but the response time was unacceptable, so I tried resizing the document with no improvement. I also made a copy of the document and deleted all the layers and saved it. Reopened this document still at the original size and 70ppi resolution and tried the same basic airbrush again - still no good. I shut the whole program down the reopened affinity photo and the test document and tried the airbrush again - Improvement! So now I open the original document that I’ve been struggling with and this seems to have an acceptably improve response.. I guess there may be some correlation between the length of time Affinity Photo is open and used and the buggy behaviour of the brushes.. I did not try deleting the history during this investigation and intend to try that next time I encounter the problem.

I've noticed more and more when working in AP that the brush lag is considerably bad with any size brush or stroke.

Its become quite frustrating to the point where Ive stopped painting in it...for now. Which is very disappointing. :(

I'm hanging out for the next update.

Same issue- this is torture to have such an incredible app and have this tiny little glitch that makes it nearly unusable for my purposes...  I’ll post back if I figure anything out...

On 3/11/2018 at 1:20 AM, andrewsimper said:

I've got this issue as well on an iPad Pro v2 12.9".  It's especially evident when trying to do some handwritten annotation on a relatively low resolution screenshot. There is considerable lag between the stroke being done and seeing the result which makes writing words very difficult, and the lower case letter 'o' in particular comes out as a tiny dot instead of the full loop most of the time. Please let me know if you want me to post examples / videos. Fingers crossed you can work out a solution!

Just want to weigh in that I am experiencing this problem as well on 2015 iPad Pro 12.9" using Apple Pencil. I've tried various resolutions, DPIs, etc with no improvement. It's so annoying that I no longer use AF to annotate photos. Hoping this gets fixed soon!

I just can't use the paint brush. I drag my brush and it just leaves a very light colure. I have Windows. 

2 minutes ago, MTfrog said:

I have Windows.

This is an iPad thread. I suggest that you create a new topic in the main Bugs forum.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Same here, iPad 10.5 2016. Affinity Photo has very bad response to Apple Pencil. Drawing, especially handwriting is unusable. Sometime lagging, sometime no responses at all. But thing is no any other drawing painting app have this problem on my iPad, Procreate, Adobe Sketch, Sketchbook, Concepts, you name it. So why does it only happen in Affinity Photo?

I unfortunately have to agree. 

I'm working with the latest iPad Pro 12.9 512gb and the previous model 10.5 256gb and both have a pretty annoying delay of input. I've also mentioned this issue before in a previous thread that the delay almost eliminates the ability to create find details for example, during line hatching an illustration. 

This also is an issue with the desktop apps as well. Color picking and stroke creation all have a very minor but critically important delay that happens before each strokes input. 

I agree that those little delays can cause some pain. Are there plans to speed up this interaction layer? While I find that Photo is already very usable for illustrations and digital painting, a faster brush engine and quick stroke/gesture detection would make it stand out.

On 5/23/2018 at 7:38 PM, Sullyman said:

I unfortunately have to agree. 

I'm working with the latest iPad Pro 12.9 512gb and the previous model 10.5 256gb and both have a pretty annoying delay of input. I've also mentioned this issue before in a previous thread that the delay almost eliminates the ability to create find details for example, during line hatching an illustration. 

This also is an issue with the desktop apps as well. Color picking and stroke creation all have a very minor but critically important delay that happens before each strokes input. 

Maybe You just stopped me from buying a 2017 iPad Pro. I was sure that the delay was mainly due to the lower specs of my 2015 model.

On 8/2/2018 at 6:37 AM, Rocketdrive said:

The newly released Affinity Designer for iOS seems to have an inproved brush engine. I hope the improvements will make it into Photo, too.

Yer I saw that. AD even has control over the head and tail of a stroke, which would be so good for AP. It would start to feel more natural like it does in PS when you flick your brush.

I also am experiencing long lag at the start of a brush stroke. If I draw a square with 4 lines instead of one continuous stroke, I end up with a square with holes at each corner where the lines don’t meet. This is a really great app, made unusable by a bug in the most basic of fundamental features. I use Affinity Photo on Mac and love the fact that I can pass work between Mac and iPad so easily, unfortunately Affinity photo on Ipad is totally useless to me until this problem is sorted. I’m using a 2018 iPad 6gen.

On 2/28/2018 at 1:07 AM, Chris_K said:

Hi all

With such small circle I believe the app is taking an extra moment to differentiate between a single press and a line. We do know about these issues with using very small srokes so hopefully we can come up with an effective solution in the future

Cheers

Could this also be an issue with the single press to active the picker tool? Maybe this option can be dropped to save confusion and we go back to just using the finger touch to activate the picker tool. I know I've spent the time mixing the correct colour only to start painting and the brush lags, then the picker tool steps in and I lose my colour.

This tends to happen a lot which makes any fine detail impossible to do.