You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just starting out with Affinity and I've read through a number of similar topics on this problem but not seen an answer.  I'm interested in changing the size of the canvas (or I think Affinity maybe calls it a layer...not completely sure yet).  In short, I want to be able to size it in whole integer pixels, but whenever I change the Width, it changes the Height, and vice versa.  All of the aspect ratio topics I've found so far deal with managing it for some object you've placed in the layer, but not the layer itself.  Is there some setting that would allow me to do this?  I'm looking for my final image to be a very specific dimension.

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Steve from Arizona,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You didn't specify which app you are using - i'm assuming you are using Affinity Photo. If you want to change the size of the canvas, go to menu Document ▸ Resize Canvas.... To change the width and heigh independently of each other click the small padlock icon in the middle of the dimensions input fields to open it. Then change the dimensions you see fit. The canvas is the base area where you compose your image/design (the empty white area on screen when you create a new document). An Affinity Photo document can only have one "canvas" but many layers (the objects/vectors/text/images etc you create/place in your design over the canvas).

Let me know if i haven't addressed your question properly.

NOTE: If you are using Affinity Designer you can change the canvas size going to File ▸ Document Setup..., Dimension tab, clicking the padlock icon (to open/unlock it) so you can use enter the width/heigh dimensions independently from each other (thus ignoring the ratio) - unless you are using artboards which must be resized independently on canvas, selecting their respective layer in the Layers panel and dragging their bounding box handles with the Move Tool.