You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inside Long Hall with lighting & golden wall decals

LyricsGirl

I am more drawn towards using Designer but will be  spending more time later this year learning about Photo. One of my HUGE Designer  / Photo  add on packs  which is my main  production flow, requires me to need a photo editor, Despite being a long term user of  another editor ( not PS!) which offers  utilities not included in Photo, I find thta I can get what I am wanting in Photo without too much  hassle. Let's say I am liking it  alot..

So as my effort of  showing off my  creations here is one and I included the original  image for comparison. Hope you like it.

I encourage all positive critiques!

Inside the Long Hall 1  Lighted with Lightfall 1 & Wall Decals A.jpg

I like it, but there are a few things that spoil the overall effect for me.

I'm not a perfectionist - anyone who has seen my own work will be able to agree with that - but...

1. The fire looks very nice but it sometimes comes over the side of the torch bowl (second from right) or is slightly hovering above it (far right).
2. The 'engraving' (or is it gold inlay?) of the cartouche/man (I don't know the correct word for this) is very pixelated compared to the rest of the image.
3. The cartouche/man seems to totally ignore the gaps between the blocks.
4. The distance from the floor to the cartouche/man, and his height, both vary quite a lot between instances, I.e. look at where the eye-line is in each instance compared to the ceiling (even accounting for small block-size changes).

I realise that some of these things might seem quite petty but getting little details right can really make a big difference.

All-in-all though, I like what you've done with the place!

Thank you GarryP.

I will have to hook up my second monitor screen as switching in and out of the program to view the image as I go is tedious (I have low vision). Pointing out flaws that I have obviously not  noticed is great.I am picky too.  I shall  rework it later on  and upload an updated version. I invite you to also look at that version fro  inspiring feedback! thank you!

I don't mind the pixelization of the glyphs, or the slight mis-alignment. I see they are there, but they don't spoil the illusion of reality. But the first 2 flame flares don't look real enough. Shape is OK, and color too, but far too solid. They are detached from the surround. I'll suggest at least making them less opaque, and maybe change the blend mode.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

14 hours ago, GarryP said:

I like it, but there are a few things that spoil the overall effect for me.

I'm not a perfectionist - anyone who has seen my own work will be able to agree with that - but...

1. The fire looks very nice but it sometimes comes over the side of the torch bowl (second from right) or is slightly hovering above it (far right).
2. The 'engraving' (or is it gold inlay?) of the cartouche/man (I don't know the correct word for this) is very pixelated compared to the rest of the image.
3. The cartouche/man seems to totally ignore the gaps between the blocks.
4. The distance from the floor to the cartouche/man, and his height, both vary quite a lot between instances, I.e. look at where the eye-line is in each instance compared to the ceiling (even accounting for small block-size changes).

I realise that some of these things might seem quite petty but getting little details right can really make a big difference.

All-in-all though, I like what you've done with the place!

One comment  after  consideration: The pixelation actually makes the  overlaid reliefs more realistic. Don't forget that they are replicating  gold leaf painting over hand carvings on  rock bricks.. the pixelation actually adds to the 3d effect. I did  a lot of this style at University  in my Multimedia classes.