You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HI

I purchased Affinity a while ago and when I import images they always appear to have a green colour cast and are less saturated than they appear in Lightroom or Photoshop Elements, I have tried assigning and converting colour profiles.  Assigning my monitor calibration profile seems to help slightly but it still doesn’t match the way it appears in Adobe’s software. Can anybody help?

• Staff

Hi Green tractor,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Each RAW engine (from various softwares) converts/processes RAW files differently so there may be slightly variations between their outputs. If you are seeing/experiencing significant changes and/or colour casts there may be some issue processing RAW's from your camera in Affinity Photo. Which camera/model are you using? Can you please upload one sample RAW file for us to check?

All files will be deleted after being inspected.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Green tractor,

Sorry, i wrongly assumed that you were talking about opening RAW files. Thanks for the additional info.

So do you mean the green colour cast and less saturated colours affects all images you open in Affinity? If that's the case it may be a screen/colour profile issue. Are you working with a Windows or Macintosh computer? What OS version are you running?

HI,  Thanks for you time, I am running Windows 10.  There is the option under file to import an ICC profile, however from what I have read think this applies to printer profiles?  It is as though my monitor calibration profile (from a Spyder 5 pro) just isn't working in Affinity, but is in everything else.  I have just noticed when sending an email that pictures appear with exactly the same hue when viewed in Outlook email.

2 hours ago, Green tractor said:

HI,  Thanks for you time, I am running Windows 10.  There is the option under file to import an ICC profile, however from what I have read think this applies to printer profiles?  It is as though my monitor calibration profile (from a Spyder 5 pro) just isn't working in Affinity, but is in everything else.  I have just noticed when sending an email that pictures appear with exactly the same hue when viewed in Outlook email.

My monitor is also calibrated using Spyder PRO 5.1  (running windows 10). No problems here !!

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• 9 months later...

In answer to my own question I have been having a play this afternoon and a solution seems to be....

Image saved in Adobe RGB
Open image..... colours look all washed out

Document - convert profile-sRGB
Document- assign profile - monitor calibration profile.    Colours are now identical to how they look in Adobe software.
Document- convert profile - Adobe RGB

Would this cause a loss of colour data though by converting to sRGB then back to Adobe?

17 minutes ago, Green tractor said:

Document- assign profile - monitor calibration profile.

You should not assign a monitor profile to a document (and should not need to). The profiles are used for entirely different purposes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

See for example:

A monitor calibration profile is used for the device (aka the monitor here) and not for documents. It's meant to be used by the operating system or a certain software to show colors for your hardware/monitor the right way. Since documents are usually shared and viewed on different hardware (monitors/screens) they need standardized profiles, in other words other people don't have your specific monitor and your custom profiled monitor profile, so it doesn't make sense to apply a custom monitor profile for a certain hardware to a document/image here.

So for using Adobe RGB in a document it highly also depends if your monitor (or other peoples monitors) do support and can show up colors in a much wider gamut than the usual sRGB. So you can work inside Affinity Photo or PS in the Adobe RGB color space for documents in order to perform finer grade color manipulations etc. but when you export an image you should convert the final image back to sRGB when sharing as JPG/PNG/TIFF what ever. - Note however that sRGB is usually the lowest common denominator between operating systems and different screen/monitor devices, so to say the lowest one (color profile/defined color space) all devices with a screen should be able to deal with. Thus you should use sRGB when exporting and sharing images with the world.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2