You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save PSD files with editable text, not rasterized text layers.

I don’t know how difficult it is to make it possible to save PSD files with editable text layers instead of rasterizing them. This is the one feature that keeps me from doing my design work totally on my iPad without Photoshop. I have a client that needs the ability to edit the text before it goes to print because of data that is not available when I’m working on the job (ie product catalog numbers). So my current workflow is I do all of the design layout, drawing, photo editing on my iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil, then export as a PSD, and then add all the text layers in Photoshop on my laptop. Of course there may not be a high demand for this feature.

I see in settings you can elect to import psd text as text rather than pixel but don't know if this effects exporting as well. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

8 hours ago, DM1 said:

I see in settings you can elect to import psd text as text rather than pixel but don't know if this effects exporting as well. 

The Affinity apps can only import PSD text. When you export to PSD format, any text is rasterized (and therefore rendered uneditable).

2 hours ago, mrgstudio said:

Before the latest update I used AnyFont to install the missing fonts on my iPad. I haven't tried the new install font feature in Affinity.

The new font installation feature works very well, with a lot fewer steps than you need in AnyFont.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...

Bump, editable text on export should be a priority to help studios migrate.
I'm still forced to use Photoshop in many situations because I have to pass open files to team members who prefer Photoshop because the text is rasterised and they would no longer be able to contribute to the project otherwise.

This is an issue with the desktop versions as well.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 please this is such a requirement for me. Recently purchased AD and was unaware of this, in hindsight I may not have bought it if I had known as Photoshop is still a large part of mine, the companies and our clients workflows. I was gutted.

Was hoping it would of been in the latest version but no joy, any news of when / if it will be coming? Thanks. 

+1 Had to re-subscribe to Photoshop because I acquired a client who needed psd files with editable text. I'd jumped completely off the Adobe plan almost 3 years ago. Now, when I'm working on his projects I miss my Affinity workflow between Photo and Designer for adding Call-outs and other graphics to photos. Studio Link looks to improve this workflow even more ... and now, arrowheads ... Arrrgh! And then to add to my frustration I'm playing with Procreate and it's newly added text feature and see that it exports psd files with editable text (but, alas, it has no real vector tools or full feature photo editing but ... editable text ...yes). I love the 1.7 release, and look forward to using the Studio Link buttons and other features just rolled out on my work for most of my other clients. But please save me the subscription and pain of having to switch to working with Photoshop's rudimentary vector tools next year by making editable text available in psd exports as quickly as possible across all platforms.Yes, your pricing is such that after jumping off the Adobe subscription I could afford to put both of your apps on all three of my devices. 

• 1 month later...

OMG. Our nonprofit has been using Affinity Photo since it came out. But now I have to send publicity packets with text-editable psd files to dozens of people outside of our org. Seriously? I have to re-subscribe to Photoshop to do this? No. Just not okay!!! Please fix this! 

Like already support staff mentioned, implementing interoperability with Adobe is hard task.
And Serif had almost no income from existing Photo users for more than 4 years.
I suppose Serif should charge upgrade fee to implement those thing quickly.
Free upgrade is spoiling speed of the development.
I'm glad to pay upgrade fee.

Look at the development history of PhotoPlus which is the ancestor of Affinity Photo.
Serif has been releasing major upgrade every 1-1.5 years and that has been paid upgrade.
Offering free upgrade for many years is unhealthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serif_PhotoPlus

I am sure just with the release of Publisher, 1.7 for the entire suite, that running a cost related release with any of the products just after I bunch of us bought publisher may raise eyebrows.
This is an eco-system not a stand-alone app so they're probably have an upgrade fee when the make the big v2 jump and there will be a lot more than just PSD text edibility.

And I'm sure many of us will repurchase the entire suite every few years without blinking twice, given how reliable and open they are about support. I feel like they know what they're doing.

Although you sparked an interesting thought, modular feature expansions might be really cool.
On one-hand you can finance specific feature development, which actually sounds fantastic, but if this ever came to the detriment of the users and the suite performance, functionality and growth it could have a slippery side.
For example, I use Blender quite a lot, and the add-on market is actually quite amazing, and I'm sure a lot of people would like It if most software had the same approach. At the same time I would throw a fit if I felt like every feature is another micro-transaction.

• 7 months later...

I've had the same problem. A solution is to export the file in Affinity Photo  as a .PDF and use photopea.com to save that file as a .PSD file. The resulting file will have editable text layers in Photoshop. It would make life a lot easier if it were enabled in Affinity photo. I can't leave Adobe until that feature exists in the Affinity apps unfortunately. 

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, Captain Nova said:

2 years on and this is still an issue. Really need the ability to export to PSD with editable text!

I know. I keep looking and nothing yet. Publisher came out it doesn't have the capability either. I'm still running Mojave on my iMac because if I upgrade I won't be able to use the last version of Photoshop before the subscription thing. I tried the suggestion of saving the file as a PDF and then opening it up in photopea.com. This online editor is capable of saving PSD files with editable text. But it only works with very simple files. Complicated files become a big mess and the fonts don't transfer. So it's not a very reliable workaround. If I every find anything that works I'll post it here!

I found that Pixelmator Pro ($40 non-subscription) will save out Photoshop files with editable text files or at least it did a while back ... This doesn't solve my work flow preference of working between Designer and Photo but it's a non-subscription alternative. While I assume it's still capable of this I can no longer test that the Text remains editable in Photoshop (I quit my Adobe subscription a few months ago when my client no longer needed photoshop files ) but I just checked and it is editable when I bring its Photoshop export into Designer. Anyway I have become accustomed to using Affinity and would like for editable text files to be a feature so I don't have to fumble around in unfamiliar software just to be able to send a client a file they can edit with Photoshop. I've attached a simple test psd exported from Pixelmator Pro incase someone wants to test it with Photoshop.

PixelmatorProPSEditableTextTest.psd

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 8:03 AM, thiagoff8 said:

Please team work on it! 

I am a video editor, and the only thing I need now is this feature. 

Because Adobe Premiere Pro accept .psd But I need to be capable to change the text. 
I think that's an essential feature for video editors.

I didn't even think about how it would affect video workflow. I'm getting more into video lately and this will have to be factored in. Hopefully if we keep mentioning this issue it will get some traction.

• 7 months later...
On 6/27/2020 at 12:07 AM, mrgstudio said:

I know. I keep looking and nothing yet. Publisher came out it doesn't have the capability either. I'm still running Mojave on my iMac because if I upgrade I won't be able to use the last version of Photoshop before the subscription thing. I tried the suggestion of saving the file as a PDF and then opening it up in photopea.com. This online editor is capable of saving PSD files with editable text. But it only works with very simple files. Complicated files become a big mess and the fonts don't transfer. So it's not a very reliable workaround. If I every find anything that works I'll post it here!

yes photopea work with only simple document, in my case adding to much artboard & a lots font can make the document become messy after converting.

I hope affinity can bring feature to this because can save alot time without converting to third party apps.

thankyou..

• 1 month later...