You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

should i buy the windows version or windows store?

• Staff

Hi Pachi,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Another aspect you may want to take in consideration is that the Microsoft Store version runs in a sandboxed environment which means that interaction with other apps is more limited. For example you can't point to the executable file from other apps to use "Edit in" and similar functionality because the Microsoft Store installation process always puts the software in a hidden folder with limited permissions. We are still looking into these issues.

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Another aspect you may want to take in consideration is that the Microsoft Store version 

I may be wrong but there is (or at least was) another difference between the MS Store version and the Serif Store version. One can only participate in beta testing with the Serif Store version. This is (was) related to the availability of a serial number. Has this been resolved?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• Staff

Hi dominik,

That's true. Currently only the Affinity Store version allows the user to install/validate the Beta however the Beta by itself is not a "feature" of the retail app and all features it may introduce will en dup in the retail version, so it's only a "limitation" if you are really interested in beta testing. In any case currently this wasn't solved yet and as you said it's not possible to use the Betas with the Microsoft Store version. Here's a few more differences just for completeness sake:

- the Microsoft Store version can update the application automatically (as long as auto updates are enabled).

- there's no product keys for the Microsoft Store version. It uses with Microsoft Account to validate/install the app.

- uninstalling the Microsoft Store version deletes any customization you may have made in case you decide to (re)install it later. This is not true of the Affinity Store version

47 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi dominik,

That's true. Currently only the Affinity Store version allows the user to install/validate the Beta however the Beta by itself is not a "feature" of the retail app and all features it may introduce will en dup in the retail version, so it's only a "limitation" if you are really interested in beta testing. In any case currently this wasn't solved yet and as you said it's not possible to use the Betas with the Microsoft Store version. Here's a few more differences just for completeness sake:

- the Microsoft Store version can update the application automatically (as long as auto updates are enabled).

- there's no product keys for the Microsoft Store version. It uses with Microsoft Account to validate/install the app.

- uninstalling the Microsoft Store version deletes any customization you may have made in case you decide to (re)install it later. This is not true of the Affinity Store version

Hi MEB,

thanks for getting this clear. I thinks this helps people looking into purchasing Affinity to make their decision where to buy.

And I just hope they do :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 8 months later...

Thanks's for your help. I'm also going to buy Affinity Photo and I'm still think about my decision between store and .exe

There are two more question's I have:
Can I install both (Store &.exe) on two devices? Desktop and SP4. What is if I reinstall (clean-install) my computer? Can i reinstall it again and again?
How will it go on with updates? In Store I will have updates "forever" - how is it with the .exe?