You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scent issues with Photo Workbook

Thia

I received the Affinity Photo Workbook 2 days ago, excited to get started. However, there's a huge problem. It smells really bad - in a 'what ink or paper did they use to make this nauseating stench' kind of way.

I doubt it's a used book - it doesn't smell like smoke or food and it cracks all the time as if it hasn't been moved since it was printed. I love the look of it and want to work through the tutorials, but every few pages and I just have to put it away again. The smell's that bad. (it might be the glue that holds the book together now that I'm thinking about it. Whatever it is, it's noxious.)

So, I'm hoping someone else has figured out something here. Does the smell go away? in what timeframe? 

Fascinating question!

I've just re-opened my copy of the APh Workbook, (I've owned it for some weeks but not really had the time to study the projects in detail, yet) and there is almost no smell with it at all, other than what one might expect with a very new book.  Certainly, nothing that, to me, would mean I can only use it for a short period of time without a break.

I also don't hear the "cracks" you mention either.  Is it possible your copy is "faulty"?  Can the actual manufacture of a book ever be faulty (other than the obvious problems of misprinted pages, blank pages or pages in the wrong order, glue not properly binding, etc., etc.)?

OTOH, I suppose what one user may experience as a "normal", acceptable smell, may not be so for another user.

I'll be very interested to see whether any other user has thoughts to offer!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

I bought it in the first (pre-Christmas) batch. Of course, the book is smells (due to quantity of the illustrations), but certainly does not stink. I would not even notice it.

Let her stand open on side (let it dry).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.