I never really liked photoshop so when I bought affinity photo in 2017, I was really impressed as I prefer at this point working on my iPad anyway. I also use LumaFusion for video. I find that affinity photo does everything I need for my use plus plus plus. Learning curve is a little steep but is fully worth the effort for the set of features you get.

I was hoping that with this latest release (Feb 22, 2018) a crash bug would be fixed, it is not. The file seems to corrupt and then you can not save. I once exported layer by layer and then loaded layer by layer into a new file which fixed the problem. I have a first generation iPad Pro with 128gig, 32gig free. I’m also using the latest iOS.

It’s a shame that this is still a problem. But even with this bug, I’m still a fan and will continue using the software. I’m lucky enough to use the software for a hobby. If I had a working deadline, I would be worried.

Ive had the same prob, Try exporting your file out to a PSD before it gets a chance to auto save. Then import it back, it should fix it....I hope! This works for me every time.

Hi Phecko,

Are you able to reproduce the crash that causes the file corruption? If so could you post the steps you are taking to reproduce it please - or better yet record a screen video showing the crash and the subsequent corruption of document. This way we can try to reproduce and get it passed onto development.

Thanks Sean,

I can’t reproduce it, but I can explain the general operations that created the problem for me......

1) fairly simple file with 3 layers, 1 layer an all black background, 1 layer with my name, and 1 layer with 5 painted rectangles.

2) I was painting on the 5 rectangles with protect alpha ON trying to paint only in the rectangles.

3) when I hit the affinity photo HOME button in the upper left, the program crashes to the iOS home screen

4) when I go back into affinity photo again, the thumbnail shows the last thing I drew but the file when loaded does not have the last thing I drew.

5) if I paint again and hit the HOME button in affinity photo, this crash will happen every time.

6) the 2 work arounds listed in this posting will fix the problem but some things will be lost like FX

Hope this will help zero in on this problem.

I attached a screen shot of my file in affinity photo

I also attached what I believe is a corrupt file. I can’t edit and save this file randomly.

Thanks Paul

6FC7EA1D-50C8-4C83-8305-3A76C0DDC2CE.png

Untitled Copy.afphoto

8 hours ago, phecko said:

Thanks Sean,

I can’t reproduce it, but I can explain the general operations that created the problem for me......

1) fairly simple file with 3 layers, 1 layer an all black background, 1 layer with my name, and 1 layer with 5 painted rectangles.

2) I was painting on the 5 rectangles with protect alpha ON trying to paint only in the rectangles.

3) when I hit the affinity photo HOME button in the upper left, the program crashes to the iOS home screen

4) when I go back into affinity photo again, the thumbnail shows the last thing I drew but the file when loaded does not have the last thing I drew.

5) if I paint again and hit the HOME button in affinity photo, this crash will happen every time.

6) the 2 work arounds listed in this posting will fix the problem but some things will be lost like FX

Hope this will help zero in on this problem.

I attached a screen shot of my file in affinity photo

I also attached what I believe is a corrupt file. I can’t edit and save this file randomly.

Thanks Paul

6FC7EA1D-50C8-4C83-8305-3A76C0DDC2CE.png

Untitled Copy.afphoto

It might be helpful in isolating the issue/bug if phecko connects his iPad to a Mac, opens Console app and clicks on the iPad. Then reproduces the bug on the iPad, after that go to the Console app select the whole log using log using "⌘ Command A" to select all of the log then "⌘ Command C" to copy the log. After that you can send the Staff a Private message with the log pasted "⌘ Command P" into the message body.

I don’t have a Mac, just a PC. What is the Console app? Is there any other way to create a log or is the log just the history you can see with the history studio?

I do believe this is purely a SAVE issue. It ONLY happens when I hit the home button in the upper left to save or affinity photo auto saves my work. In either case affinity photo crashes to iOS home screen. But only happens when a file seems to get corrupted. Other files work fine.

On your iPad. If you look in Settings, Privacy, Analytics data, Analytics you can scroll down to Photo Ipad ips file (Crash data). Look for the date stamp. Tap to open . Send a copy to Devs.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB iOS 12.4. Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 Affinity Design 1.7.2.6 Publisher for iPad ?

3 hours ago, DM1 said:

On your iPad. If you look in Settings, Privacy, Analytics data, Analytics you can scroll down to Photo Ipad ips file (Crash data). Look for the date stamp. Tap to open . Send a copy to Devs.

Crash logs should be automatically sent, if here she has enabled it in iOS settings.

Under analytics it’s the option called share with app developers,  it will necklace in the crash log whenever the app crashes to affinity photo developers. 

The best option is to capture a Sysdiagnose right after the crash occurs  and then send that to affinity photo developers.

Edited by jacki3wrfsef

1 hour ago, jacki3wrfsef said:

The best option is to capture a Sysdiagnose right after the crash occurs  and then send that to affinity photo developers. Here  are directions on how to capture a sysdiagnose.

Unfortunately you need developer login to access the PDF.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB iOS 12.4. Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 Affinity Design 1.7.2.6 Publisher for iPad ?

1 hour ago, DM1 said:

Unfortunately you need developer login to access the PDF.

I’ve found publicly accessible instructions here (on the Procreate forums).

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Hi Phecko,
Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce using your file.

I copied the file over to iCloud and then loaded it onto my iPad - I then opened the file without a problem. I painted over the 5 rectangles using Protect Alpha and returned to the Home screen without a problem. It displayed the last changes I made to the file all without crashing.

Thanks for your effort.

I do believe there is a bug and others are getting either this or some other form of this bug. I did attach a crash log back 2 posts. I can imagine that this type of problem must be difficult to fix.

Paul

21 hours ago, phecko said:

Thanks for your effort.

I do believe there is a bug and others are getting either this or some other form of this bug. I did attach a crash log back 2 posts. I can imagine that this type of problem must be difficult to fix.

Paul

Ive had this problem from the beginning. Ive posted about it several times and spoke to staff, given them my crash logs and Ive only every been given back a hand full crickets. 

The problem is still there in every new update. I hope one day they find it and squash it.

Yes, just because they can’t reproduce it, it doesn’t mean all is fine. It does exist, and many people post crash problems like us. Thanks for that export work around.