You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Recent versions seem more unstable

It seems the most recent beta versions are a bit more unstable than the previous ones. Here are some of the crashes I've got today. The CrashReport message says the error report cannot be sent.

(Incidentally, the message should be in English, not pt-BR, since en-US is my language choice for AD.)

CrashReport_2018-02-22_18-04-34.png

Designer_2018-02-22_18-04-26.png

dwm_2018-02-22_11-41-19.png

I was working in large UI projects with several artboards, symbols and many layers. Most projects started months ago. Other than that, it's hard to say exactly what I were doing, sorry. These crashes happened several times while doing different things.

• 1 month later...

Maybe it is time both versions (beta and retail) to be joined into one for Designer and Photo. Seems they are equally unstable and a little bit risky. I've never seen another company to have separate beta and retail version.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

6 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Maybe it is time both versions (beta and retail) to be joined into one for Designer and Photo. Seems they are equally unstable and a little bit risky. I've never seen another company to have separate beta and retail version.

?

Why don't you remove beta versions and update/upgrade only retail ones?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff

Hi Petar Petrenko,

Usually software houses don't provide public/customer betas - they are (beta) tested internally and then released as retail versions when they are stable. Betas versions are not an alternative to the retail versions - they are intended for testing/feedback purposes only. So users who are not interested in testing/trying new features/give feedback can simply ignore them and use the retail (commercial) versions.

All improvements/fixes implemented in the Betas during the beta testing phase will end up as an update to the retail version.

18 minutes ago, MEB said:

Betas versions are not an alternative to the retail versions - they are intended for testing/feedback purposes only.

I think Petar is saying he finds the current retail version to be so unstable that it might as well be a beta version and that there is therefore no need for two separate versions! This is not my experience, by the way: the retail version has been pretty stable for me.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If both versions are unstable (more or less), why there is beta version?

"Should" but not "are". No software is 100% proof. You must face that fact. Betas are unnecessary because users give their experience with retail versions, too.

• Staff

Yes, we also get feedback from the retail versions but the betas allow us to implement new features/make changes that have not been tested yet without disrupting the stability of the retail (commercial) version. If changes were implemented directly to the retail version we could break something letting the application unusable for all users.

If you are experiencing bugs/instability with the retail version please report them in the Bugs section so they can be logged and fixed.

On 4/11/2018 at 11:45 AM, Petar Petrenko said:

"Should" but not "are". No software is 100% proof. You must face that fact. Betas are unnecessary because users give their experience with retail versions, too.

I guess you wanted to say "crash proof" or something like that. Well, NOTHING is 100% crash/failure proof. Planes are certainly not - should we abandon test flights then? Cars, bridges, buildings,.. You name it - everything can be broken at some point. Suggesting that testing is unnecessary, because "hey, it can possibly crush anyways" is the dumbest idea I heard in this week. And competition is fierce on internet. You have never worked on a serious, paid project if you think we can just test software in the middle of production. If it will crash we just ask client for more $$ and time, right? Unbelievable.
Where did you got that idea anyways? Adobe? :D

I've been working with the Designer beta for quite a while now and crashed only once when I was doing stupid things - trying to apply a gradient opacity in the Draw Persona to a selection that was created in the Pixel Persona. What I did to keep the beta stable while not doing stupid things is to increase the assigned disk space and memory in the Preferences / Performance. If you have plenty of these, this may help, especially if you're working on extensive projects.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

• 1 month later...

This version of AD crashes more often then previous one i guess. Its usually down when i try to pick a color by color picker. Unfortunatelly, i am not able to reproduce this when i want to capture it. But its little bit annoying. Luckily i havent lost any progress due to autosave, so its not a critical issue for me. If i experience this again, i will send you that naughty .afdesign for sure:)

• Staff
On 4/20/2018 at 1:29 PM, rubs said:

Just crashed now while doing literally nothing. I had no documents open and was using... Windows Explorer. Crash. I've sent the crash report.

What was the reference number?

I don't know the reference number. Is there a way to know it? The folder %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports is empty. It was sent just a couple of minutes before my posts. My email starts with "pechansky".

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.