You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

frankly I thought print was dead

You’re kidding, surely?? Don’t you ever have days when the postal service delivers more junk mail and advertising flyers than anything else?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

46 minutes ago, Lon in MacArkansas said:

Lon "I want my Maypo" in MacArkansas

I think you’re showing your age, Lon! xD

Alfred spacer.png

On 2/22/2018 at 11:37 AM, DrZigZag said:

I truly could use publisher today. This is the workaround I have to do to produce a 12  Mini page booklet with printer spreads 4.5" x 6"
How soon can we get Affinity Publisher.

If you are desperate there is always QuarkXpress 2017, the 'other' professional application. The new Quark is quite good. Any professional should be able to get up to snuff on it pretty quickly.

Or get Serif's PagePlus X9! Now a "legacy" product, so very cheap, but still eminently usable, and, going on received opinion, more fully featured now, than Affinity Publisher is likely to be for quite some time.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

57 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Or get Serif's PagePlus X9! Now a "legacy" product, so very cheap, but still eminently usable, and, going on received opinion, more fully featured now, than Affinity Publisher is likely to be for quite some time.

From the screenshot in the OP, it seems that @DrZigZag is a Mac user. PagePlus only runs on Windows.

Alfred spacer.png

31 minutes ago, GarryP said:

There's a chance that PagePlus might run on OS X under Wine - https://www.winehq.org/ - but I've never tried it.
It looks like some versions work and some don't: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=999

One version on the list got a ‘Gold’ rating, but that was PagePlus 5.0 from twenty years ago. The rating for recent versions is ‘Garbage’, which doesn’t sound very promising!

Alfred spacer.png

Yeah, I agree, it doesn't look very promising but they were all tested using pretty old versions of Wine.
If the OP can get hold of a trial version of PagePlus - from who knows where - they could give it a try without spending any money.

Another solution would be to find an old copy of Windows and run it in a VM. (Windows XP will probably be fine but I couldn't find any minimum requirements on the Serif website.)

There are two options for running across all 3 major OSs. That would be Scribus and Viva Designer. I dislike Scribus for a number of reasons, but have used it in the past for some client work. Viva Designer is viable depending upon what one does with a layout application. I use it for a couple clients and while I find there are certain oddities in how it does some things, it has been stable and capable of what I need it for.

From the screenshot in the OP, it seems that @DrZigZag is a Mac user. PagePlus only runs on Windows.

Sorry, my bad, not being a Mac user I didn't notice that!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Another solution would be to find an old copy of Windows and run it in a VM. (Windows XP will probably be fine but I couldn't find any minimum requirements on the Serif website.)

They used to have the minimum requirements listed on the website, but now that PagePlus has been relegated to ‘legacy’ status I think the info is only available via the user guide. Anyway, PPX9 will run on 32-bit XP SP3, or on any later 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks for adding that information Alfred. It's good to have that sort of thing documented somewhere.

Another option, if you have a copy of Windows, is running it in a bootable partition via Boot Camp Assistant, but the version of Windows you can run depends on the version of OS X you have.

• 4 weeks later...