You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Client requests .AI, what is THE answer?

This is very unclear and needs some clarification. If I create a logo or illustration in Affinity and a client specifically requests .AI, then I need to have an clear reply with an absolutely compatible file (.PDG or .EPS) they can use. I can't have a bunch of back-and-forth about it or worse, erroneous results on the client side.

What is the clear answer and best file to send to this request?

If your client specifically requests and insists on an .ai file, there's not much you can do other than sending him an actual .ai file. That said, you're out of luck with Affinity Designer, since it doesn't have and will never get .ai export. Go create your stuff with Illustrator.

On the other hand, if what your client really wants is just a file he can open and edit with Illustrator, there's no generic answer for you because what works best depends on what you want to export and what your client wants to do with it. Each file format has its specific set of supported features and its pros and cons, so you'd have to decide this on a per-project basis.

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

An AI file produced by AI. Depending upon the contents, an AI file produced by CD. And, again depending upon the contents, an EPS produced by AD could be sufficient. 

Mike 

What are you referring to as CD?

7 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

If your client specifically requests and insists on an .ai file, there's not much you can do other than sending him an actual .ai file. That said, you're out of luck with Affinity Designer, since it doesn't have and will never get .ai export. Go create your stuff with Illustrator.

On the other hand, if what your client really wants is just a file he can open and edit with Illustrator, there's no generic answer for you because what works best depends on what you want to export and what your client wants to do with it. Each file format has its specific set of supported features and its pros and cons, so you'd have to decide this on a per-project basis.

So without sounding like a jerk, that doesn't answer my question in any way.

I know Illustrator's .AI is proprietary and thus will never be an export option.

In this exact case, where I am making a logo or illustration in AD's vector format and no other, what is the most correct reply and file to provide? Most print destinations, heck, most of the industry, uses Illustrator and asks for .AI format. What is the reply and standard file format as a user of only Affinity Designer?

That is my question. If AD hopes to be a respected Illustrator alternative used for "serious" work, then there needs to a be clear, concise answer here and thus response for/to the client. See what I mean?

dozens,

CD = CorelDraw. It produces good AI files directly, but the last paragraph below can apply to it as well.

Basically, if the design is pure vector, AD should produce an EPS that Illy can/will open fine. I do this with AD and other vector design illustration applications. I do, however, always open the resulting file in AI and save a copy as a "real" AI file. 

Depending upon the design, and if I need to give the client back an AI file and there are effects, I will take the design as far as I can in whatever I am using to draw with, then port to AI to finish off in it.

Mike

• Staff

Hi dozens,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

CD stands for CorelDraw. Regarding your question this usually depends on the content/intent of the file. If you rely only on Affinity Designer your best option is export as PDF. For editing both PDF (and in some cases SVG) will work. If the client demands an Ai file then you have no choice other than using Illustrator (or CorelDraw as a second option).