You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows OS Support

Hard to believe I'm the first one to request it, so I assume my quick search simply didn't involve the proper tags. :3

That said, please please please please consider developing for Windows. I have a Mac at work, sure, but they're going to demand I stay on the office-standard Photoshop (lest things get weird) and I don't feel like paying 5x the amount the hardware is worth, so I rock a Windows PC at home—but I'd love to get in on this.

Adobe has been losing their luster with their ever increasing money-grabs, so I really want to support their competitors...but you all develop exclusively for Mac! xD There's love from us over in Windowsland to be shared—come to the dark side! We have cookies! :3 (But we delete them regularly for security reasons.)

• Staff

Welcome to the forums :)

We currently have no plans to bring the Affinity range to Windows. The developers are focusing all their efforts to complete the full suite for OS X. More information can be found here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/1689-faqs/

EDIT: You could also add your comments to this existing thread: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/744-windows-7-version-of-affinity-products/

jd.tesch

You aren't the first one to request Windows support, but you may be right, you may be the first to request it and use the proper tags! I agree with you completely in regards to Adobe. Their money grab with the subscriptions was the straw that broke the camel's back. I would recommend that you check out a Mac mini if price is an issue. Or think about buying a used Mac (any one will do, a used mini is a pretty good bargain). I bought a second hand iMac, it was cheap and it runs Yosemite and Affinity Designer (and Photo) like a dream. Just something to think about. 

Hokusai

There's always Serif (the home of Affinity) DrawPlus/PhotoPlus/PagePlus.

Serif is Windows only; Affinity is Mac only. If you want to work cross platform, then you will have to own both set ups and use the File>export as PDF command.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

I would also like to request windows support. affinity photo seems already miles ahead of the photoplus app (and costs around half of photoplus; not unimportant).

I am reluctant to buy any more of the windows plus series (I have bought two licences, but almost never use it). Pageplus for example is quite a nice program, but it's slow, pdf import/placing is wonky, the UI looks ancient. I have a suspicion the affinity developers will do a better job with the affinity range than the Plus-range developers. (it is taking them almost 2 years to develope an upgrade for drawplus)

I would also like to request windows support. affinity photo seems already miles ahead of the photoplus app (and costs around half of photoplus; not unimportant).

I am reluctant to buy any more of the windows plus series (I have bought two licences, but almost never use it). Pageplus for example is quite a nice program, but it's slow, pdf import/placing is wonky, the UI looks ancient. I have a suspicion the affinity developers will do a better job with the affinity range than the Plus-range developers. (it is taking them almost 2 years to develope an upgrade for drawplus)

Hi Markio, welcome to the forums.

The Plus range is prosumer/Windows only.

The Affinity range is professional Mac only. For the time being.

The Affinity team have been in production for 4 years.

Affinity Publisher, APu, will be out at the end of 2015. Don't forget to visit the road map to see what's coming next.

https://affinity.ser...opic/1689-faqs/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/744-windows-7-version-of-affinity-products/

As for the various tutorials, MEB has kindly posted these links here

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/

HTH

peter

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

unfortunately I cannot do without windows (revit and autocad). Some folks from the coreldraw-forum pointed me to serif pageplus a while ago. So I decided to purchase it, but as I said pdf-import is wonky (but 'vital' to me), so I don't use it and I regret upgrading to X8 (I don't know why I did that).

It's a pity that the plus range is consumer stuff, and as a result professionals don't touch it (with a few exceptions).

I didn't try Photoplus, because after reading the user guide I realised a lot of features are missing.

I have tried drawplus, nice - actually quite close to professional. But I don't expect a lot from the upcoming release as a third of the development-team is working on the affinity range. And I don't want to pay twice the price for consumer-grade software as the same company develops nice pro-grade software for almost half the the price, it just feels wrong.

(finally coreldraw: good vector editing with an ancient UI (very nice smart fill tool); weak pixel editing (coreldraw and photopaint have no on-canvas warping/liquifying etc on the pixel side of graphics; and photopaint is very unstable)

I know what you mean, about being stuck/loyal to software that is Windows only. So, 12 months before Affinity came out of hiding; I treated myself to a refurbished/2nd hand Mac. I Ran Bootcamp so I could have both options. This may not be the answer, that you were looking for...but it is cheaper in the long term; when compared to Adobe's subscription system.

• 2 months later...

Putting some resources out here right now. Anyone who knows me knows that I never buy new macs...I buy 2nd hand and upgrade them myself.

• www.macofalltrades.com: THE best prices on refurbished macs and accessories. I've been a customer for 10 years. All of my macs bought from them are still alive and thriving having been given to family and friends (the ones I'm not still using).
  • www.everymac.com: THE resource for specs on every mac ever made. A must for upgrading older Macs.
  • www.virtualbox.org: VirtualBox is FREE virtualization software. Does the same thing as Parallels for free; run Windows inside your Mac.
  • BootCamp: Part of every OS X system since 10.6.8. If you don't want to and/or don't have the RAM to virtualize another system inside your Mac, use BootCamp and Dual boot Windows on your Mac.
  • www.ifixit.com: instructions of fixing/upgrading Macs.

Hope this helps.

With all due respect to the OP, Windows users have plenty of options.

Forgive us if we're not all overflowing with sympathy. 

Two quotes stand out:

1. "I don't feel like paying 5x the amount the hardware is worth.."

So... your company buys gear that costs 5x what it is worth?! Wow!

I worked at a publishing company and asked the head tech why we were Mac only.

His answer: "For what we do, Macs just work better. What other reason do you want?"

2. "..you all develop exclusively for Mac!"

http://www.serif.com/Company/AboutUs/

Again, with respect, I find these sort of comments all over the web from PC users. 

Short answer; If you're a pro, you'll use the right tool for the job.

For what I do, that tool is a Mac.

• 7 months later...

The operating system is a fundamental part of the user experience!  There is simply no way that the level of fluidity and speed could have been accomplished had this been created on the Windows platform.  There are simply far too many PC variants out there.  The DLL's and drivers that would have to be created would make this just as bloated as anything else that is currently offered on a PC.  

Thank you Affinity for not only designing an awesome program, but also for mating it with its Operation System in a way that makes those PC guys envious.  

​You could create the best program in the world on a PC but you would have been limited by its Operating System and its inefficient memory management.

• 1 month later...

I'm not going to quote people but there are some posts here that are simply flaming Windows which I don't think the purpose of the OP was. For one, there are not a lot of PROFESSIONAL options on either Mac or Windows platforms. PLEASE don't do that. That is not even a proven statement. Second, SERIF making a Windows product means more money for them - it's a GOOD THING. It's not making software as some sort of Mac tribe fan boy thing, but to make revenue, and so it would not hurt them to make a Windows version - your feelings have nothing to do with it.

Third, Adobe has left a big gap with its CC subscription based model. Remember supply and demand? Thier products lack security, privacy and a sense of ownership. It's customers are looking for a way out. Affinity is a PROFESSIONAL alternative. Windows users are not going to give up Windows for thst, but will just suffer until someone creates what they need. Apple is what Adobe has become, and Windows users are not going to go there either. It's much more productive go make what they need, which is an Adobe killer for Windows.

Lastly, stop scaring people not familiar with Windows with lies and myths. There us no memory management issue with Windows. And memory is much cheaper for PCs anyway. But that is a non-isxue. Also, The MacOS can be virtualized in Windows too - so why keep suggesting to buy a Mac? Perhaps those posters are Mac users who just don't know any better? If that's the case ASK, and stop making unqualified statemdnts.

The thing is - 90% of the computing world is using Windows. Don't let this opportunity pass you by - because if you don't want the money someone else will come along... and then where will your product be? Love it or not, you NEED to develop for Windows, or stay stuck as a niche, "could have been" product forever.

… memory is much cheaper for PCs … SERIF making a Windows product means more money for them …

No, only if you purchase it from Apple.

Serif already has a range of applications for Windows and it was a good decision to write the best apps for design and photo for people who work with Apple and WACOM products.