You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for iPad - 1.6.7

Patrick Connor

• Staff

Hi,

We are pleased to announce the App Store release of Affinity Photo for iPad, version 1.6.7

The change-list is as follows:

- Brand new shadows / highlights algorithm in Develop.
- Brand new clarity algorithm in Develop.
- Now fully supports open-in-place - including saving back directly to the original location.
- New “Import from Camera” - supporting RAW and automatic HDR bracketed merge. Has fancy histograms and scopes.
- New ability to install custom fonts in preferences.
- New “Average Blur” filter.
- New “Solo” layer option in layer properties panel.
- New preferences option to show touches - good for screen recording.
- Added the “Median Brush” tool.
- Added ability to export brushes.
- Added ability to both import and export styles.
- Added option in preferences to cache screen updates - you will see much less pixelation when painting etc. - but it uses more memory.
- Added transparent TGA import support.
- Adjustments panel now has an option to show a simple list (by popular request).
- Overhaul of pencil / touch input mechanism - this enabled much needed functionality such as long pressing with Apple Pencil to pick colours in brush tools, etc.
- Apple Pencil can now dismiss flyouts without passing a tap through.
- Further performance improvements in develop persona.
- Preferences option to choose default storage location.
- Improved support for the dropping of files into an open document.
- Bitmap fills are now available on vector objects.
- Can now rotate image in Develop.
- Pasting now keeps things in the right place.
- Maximum / minimum filters now obey the current channels properly.
- Brush scatter works properly when controller is “random”.
- Improved angle / tilt support for Apple Pencil.
- Handle vertical panoramas better.
- Improved crop tool behaviour when using ratios.
- Improved retouching tools in 32bit mode.
- Improvements to selection refinement.
- Improved TIFF support.
- Channels page improvements / fixes.
- “Save a copy” stability improvements.
- Ability to clear history.
- New “Constrain” modifier button for Depth of Field tool.
- Snapping candidates can now be selected by hovering over them whilst in a drag.
- All colour flyouts now have a built in colour picker.
- Increased the maximum undo stack size.
- OpenType improvements.
- Added “Undo” to the two-finger-tap context menu.
- Improved input smoothing for all tools.
- Improved behaviour when trying to move small layers (ie. avoid inadvertent resizes).
- Improved text tool UI.
- Moved spelling suggestions to context menu.
- Creating stacks from RAW files now works more correctly.
- Improved Perlin Noise filter.
- PSD, PDF import / export improvements.
- Help improvements.
- Fixed transform studio aspect ratio lock.
- Fixed some HDR merge crashes.
- Fixed multiply blend mode in 32bit documents.
- Fixed marching ants disappearing when canvas is rotated.
- Fixed issues with “Direction” brush controller.
- Fixed colour picker appearing too easily in paint brush tool.
- Fixed long press being too short in some tools.
- Fixed HEIF import from Photos app.
- Fixed issue where stray colour picker loupe could remain after switching tools.
- Fixed incorrect DPI limit in resize tool.
- Fixed inability to export liquify meshes.
- Numerous other fixes and stability improvements.

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Bugs on iPad section 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
2 hours ago, Randall1028 said:

I'm not near my iPad at the moment but does

- Added “Undo” to the two-finger-tap context menu.
mean what I think it means?

We can now use two-finger tap to undo?

Two finger tap brings up a context sensitive menu, and Undo is a new option in there

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

11 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Two finger tap brings up a context sensitive menu, and Undo is a new option in there

It's a pity there's no Redo to go with it. Oh well, maybe next time!

BTW, is there any difference between the retail version and the 1.6.7.76 'GM Seed' beta version?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It's worth mentioning the freebies that come with this release. Hope Photo for iPad gets more recognition and more happy users. :)

Best regards!

• Staff
Just now, Mithferion said:

It's worth mentioning the freebies that come with this release. Hope Photo for iPad gets more recognition and more happy users. :)

Best regards!

True, but the "free content" brushes and macros are not in the announcement, as they are only available for 2 weeks from 1.6.7 launch, whereas this announcement will live for a long while I expect.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

The App Store isn’t offering me the update on my iPad Pro.

The App Store indicates that the current version is 1.6.7 There is not an “Upgrade” button, only an “Open” button. When I press “Open,” Affinity opens and shows it’s version 1.6.5 on the load screen. 

Consequently, when I try to download the free content, Affinity claims its not an Affinity document and it won’t load. 

Any ideas?

Similar problem.... I have current Beta installed and App Store won’t let me load the current store version, it just opens the beta... so I can’t load the extra goodies available. When I try I just get a screen filled with hieroglyphics.... I have restarted and rebooted iPad but no luck

I have iPad Pro and have similar problem.  I updated to iOS 11.3 beta 3, and it took me back to 1.6.5.  The update shows 1.6.7, and I cannot update. Affinity probably took the server offline. Will try again later tonite.

great news for this update that I can open raw file.

• Staff
28 minutes ago, Spotodog said:

Updated to 1.6.7 and can’t import from cloud 

i also cant export. It doesnt allow me to choose a location. Seems totally buggy. Can i get back to previous version.??????

I do not think it is possible to go back to earlier iPad store versions (Apple restriction). I am happy to be proven wrong. Please take your questions/problems to the bugs on iPad forum for us to help resolve this, which was not our experience of throughout the beta.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
26 minutes ago, Got2golf said:

App Store does not allow me to upgrade.  Only presents OPEN.  I am currently running 1.6.5.61

@Got2golf

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. Please be patient. As I understand it, Apple roll updates of popular apps (like ours) slowly, so as not to cause download server bottlenecks. I expect it will become available in the next 24 hours

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

14 hours ago, Craig Farnum said:

The App Store isn’t offering me the update on my iPad Pro.

The App Store indicates that the current version is 1.6.7 There is not an “Upgrade” button, only an “Open” button. When I press “Open,” Affinity opens and shows it’s version 1.6.5 on the load screen. 

Consequently, when I try to download the free content, Affinity claims its not an Affinity document and it won’t load. 

Any ideas?

I had the same problem yesterday but it is working okay today.

Hugh

• Staff
13 hours ago, Krist said:

Hi MEB

I finally updated to 1.6.7.76.  But it still cannot open compressed raw file from “import from photos”.  Have I done something wrong or this feature is still not available?

Hi Krist,

What's the camera/model you are using? The Apple (Core Image RAW) doesn't support the compressed formats of a few cameras. Please check if you camera is supported here.

11 hours ago, Karen Langlie said:

I’m also unable to get the update from the App Store. The only option I see is to open the previous version. I signed out, closed App Store, and signed back in. Still no luck.

Very frustrating.

Hi Karen Langlie,

Please check if you running iOS 11.2 or above. If not update iOS first and then try to update Affinity Photo. Let me know how it goes.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi Karen Langlie,

Please check if you running iOS 11.2 or above. If not please update iOS first and then try to update Affinity Photo. Let me know how it goes.

Hi MEB,

I updated to the latest iOS, and was able to install the Affinity Photo update. Very excited about the new features and the freebies! Thanks!