Sign in to follow this  
encircleacity

Special Character Issue (not correctly displayed)

Hi,

I recently started using Affinity Designer and found it really great. However, I got a problem while inserting special characters into text. While inserting characters like Greek or Roman alphabet, they simply appear to be empty squares (see the attached screenshot). It seems like a compatibility issue with the fonts to me.

Is there anyone having the same problem?

I am using Macbook Pro Retina and have Yosemite on it. The Affinity Design has a version number of 1.12.

Thanks in advance.

Bojie

post-7005-0-46677300-1424182820_thumb.png

That usually happens when the font doesn't support the character. Some other apps switch to a different font, or show a different character (for symbol fonts), but we don't do either of those things yet.

That usually happens when the font doesn't support the character. Some other apps switch to a different font, or show a different character (for symbol fonts), but we don't do either of those things yet.

I have quickly tested fonts for special characters like Greek letters (alpha, beta, gamma, etc.), and it looked like only "Apple Symbols" worked well for them. Hope there would be some improvement (e.g. automatic switch to a proper font for inputting characters) on this issue in the near future.

Is support for Symbol font going to be forthcoming?  I recently switched  from Illustrator to Affinity Design because I upgraded to Yosemite/El Capitan OS and Adobe's new licensing model was not palatible.  Most of my design work is creating figures for scientific papers which very much requires support for the Symbol font.

Hi,

I would like to ask whether support for greek characters is to be expected some time soon. I'm pretty much in the same situation as mjdonlin, need to prepare figures for my Master's Thesis and often need beta or alpha letters and the like.

And by the way, when I try to open the "Emoji / Symbols" palette when my Macbook pro is connected to my Thunderbolt Display, just nothing happens. This does work when I use the Macbook alone, but then it doesn't sport a "beta", just alpha and some other arbitrarily chosen greek letters.

Thank you,

delikatus

We now support fall-back fonts in the current v1.4 Mac App Store version. In other words, if you use a Greek character that the font doesn't support, Affinity will try to switch to a different font that does support it.

We have always supported the Symbol font and Greek characters. Previously you had to select the font manually, but you could use them.

We have always supported the Symbol font and Greek characters. Previously you had to select the font manually, but you could use them.

Well, strange, now that you say it it does work. Don't know what I did wrong, but I really did not get it to work. Sorry for the confusion.