You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

tvOS Tutorial Overscan

KyleG

At least in the US, the tutorials posted on the tvOS app appear to suffer from significant overscan. The tool bar on the left is not visible, nor is the menu bar on top. The narator says what the button or selection is called, but the selections are not visible on the screen. The videos posted on Vimeo do not share this problem, it appears to be entirely a tvOS problem.

• Staff

@KyleG overscan is typically a TV issue, not an app issue - have you checked your picture settings? It's usually called Picture Size or Picture Frame, and you'll have options like 16:9 (which typically overscans), Zoom, Fill, etc. There should be one called Just Scan or Fit, which will display the entire frame. Hope that helps.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

It's not the TV settings. I understand that with AirPlay that can be a concern, but with the Affinity App, there is no where to adjust it. If it were a setting on my TV, then the same problem would persist with all other AppleTV apps the same way. They don't. It's clearly isolated to the Affinity tvOS app display of the tutorials. If I use AirPlay to watch the tutorials via Vimeo, there's no problem, but then what's the point of the Affinity tvOS app?

I can send you screen snaps if you like to include settings.

Just spent a bunch of time trying to see how I could provide evidence of what I'm saying, but couldn't find a satisfactory way to do it. The TV is set to "full" which is the way it should be. All other AppleTV apps work fine. It is definitely something with how Affinity is displaying the videos in the app, so take it or leave it.

• Staff

Hey @KyleG, I didn't get a notification that you had replied so I'm sorry I haven't seen your message sooner.

I've investigated and haven't found much that would help so far - I've tested on a couple of TVs and a 4K monitor and there's no overscan on any of them. The app itself is basically a bare bones template that Xcode provides, and it's unlikely there would be anything in there to dictate display scaling. The majority of the videos are 16:9 - a few older videos may be 16:10 but they should appear pillar boxed.

When you say other Apple TV apps work fine, are you using any other apps where critical content would be displayed outside of the safe area? Most apps design their UI to be title-safe, and video content follows this convention too. Screen capture content is more difficult - short of scaling the entire video down and leaving black space, there's not much we can do to accommodate action and title safe regions.

Is there any chance you could take a few pictures of your TV settings and also the Video/Audio settings on the Apple TV menu? Additionally, if you go into the Video/Audio menu and choose Calibrate>Zoom and Overscan, do you definitely see the outer white border near the "Full Screen" text? Finally, what's your HDMI Output set to - is it RGB Low/High or YCbCr? I'm aware some TVs may alter their overscan setting based on the input signal (crudely speaking, they might regard YCbCr as "television" and thus overscan), despite the picture fit setting.

I'd like to get to the bottom of the issue and see if it's affecting other users as well, so any further information would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials