AffinityAppMan

Workarounds for Distortion, Warp, or Perspective distort?

I LOVE Affinity Designer... I do almost all my work in Designer. But gosh, I'm looking forward to being able to do text/vector warping/distortion, like arcing the bottom of the text in a logo.

Having to go back and forth between ADesigner and Adobe Illustrator to do this drives me nuts :-)

It's been more than a year, since Serif announced that it was in the 1.X roadmap... is there any news on this?

I SO wish that this feature is well under way.

:-) Thanks

On 2/22/2018 at 10:26 AM, AffinityAppMan said:

I really like Affinity Designer and I really want it to be my app of choice for any illustration project I create. This week has been very frustrating when using Affinity Designer without a perspective or warp tool.  Since time is of the essence for certain projects, you can see why I feel this way. I have spent so much time trying find a way to work around this and is not easy at times.

This is my exact feeling on this right now. I'm more than ready to cast off Adobe (using CS6 so at least I'm not feeding the beast) and make Affinity my full time use trio of apps - I design t-shirt graphics for a living and depend DAILY on the ability to access warp text, offset path, blob tool and erase tool. I've been anxious for Affinity updates and while excited by all the new features coming in to 1.7, I keep hoping against hope for the features I mentioned above... because then I could completely cut the Adobe cord. 
I've read a number of posts from the past and found a few that were interesting (I'll try to go back and find them again to link here) - one from one of the developers in response to very strongly worded criticism that the features the customers wanted were not added fast enough - and they explained how the process is not as simple as many may think. There are often less-sexy and overlooked building blocks that need to be created, installed, improved upon first before the more noticeable surface level features can be added. Another post written by a user - gave an enlightening history of feature growth in Illustrator - how many who are used to Illustrator were not likely aware of how long the process took to get it to where it is today - and even now, there are features found in Freehand that have not made their way to Illustrator. 
It's possible I missed it, but I wish Affinity's developers and powers that be would share more of the behind the scenes process instead of leaving us in the dark. The post from one of the developers that enlightened me to the current behind the scenes work was in response to a critical posting. If there was more transparency by Affinity on these things, would that stave off the anxiety and impatience of their customers anxious to make Affinity products their full time apps of choice?
I was reading through the product reviews for Designer on the Apple App Store and noticed a trend of people sharing a similar message: Affinity Designer is NOT Illustrator and that's a good thing! Many shared how they thought Designer was much improved over what Illustrator offers, despite not being as full-featured (yet). 
It made me want to go in to Affinity Designer and Photo with a new thought process - being open to the idea that there is a better way than Adobe, even if it lacks some of the critical features I use daily. I'm going to stop trying to force Affinity Designer to be Illustrator and let it be what the developers intended it to be, and then make Designer what I need it to be. For now I just to need to find as many work-around solutions to what I'm missing. 

Affinity is like a light in a dark tunnel; giving hope to a realistic alternative to slavery in the Adobe ecosystem. For the first time in years, I'm excited about the possibilities of design software again being effective, powerful and affordable. I'm excited to see a new way of thinking about vector and raster design. The idea that one day soon, I could design a complete shirt graphic on my ipad from anywhere and send it off to a client excites me. 
I'm holding on to hope that Affinity will hold to their goal of getting the main features (including the ones I wanted) before their 2.0 release and with the rate of updates so far, we're looking at seeing this come to fruition in the next year at most. Until then, I'm clinging to my copy of CS6 to have access to functions I still need. 

On 22. Februar 2018 at 4:19 PM, Oval said:

Serif is not edobA, so Serif tries to create better solutions/functions than existing ones. This needs time (without infinitely cat power).

A lot of time (of hopeness and hopelessness).

On 1/7/2019 at 6:31 AM, Boldlinedesign said:

This is my exact feeling on this right now. I'm more than ready to cast off Adobe (using CS6 so at least I'm not feeding the beast) and make Affinity my full time use trio of apps - I design t-shirt graphics for a living and depend DAILY on the ability to access warp text, offset path, blob tool and erase tool. I've been anxious for Affinity updates and while excited by all the new features coming in to 1.7, I keep hoping against hope for the features I mentioned above... because then I could completely cut the Adobe cord. 
I've read a number of posts from the past and found a few that were interesting (I'll try to go back and find them again to link here) - one from one of the developers in response to very strongly worded criticism that the features the customers wanted were not added fast enough - and they explained how the process is not as simple as many may think. There are often less-sexy and overlooked building blocks that need to be created, installed, improved upon first before the more noticeable surface level features can be added. Another post written by a user - gave an enlightening history of feature growth in Illustrator - how many who are used to Illustrator were not likely aware of how long the process took to get it to where it is today - and even now, there are features found in Freehand that have not made their way to Illustrator. 
It's possible I missed it, but I wish Affinity's developers and powers that be would share more of the behind the scenes process instead of leaving us in the dark. The post from one of the developers that enlightened me to the current behind the scenes work was in response to a critical posting. If there was more transparency by Affinity on these things, would that stave off the anxiety and impatience of their customers anxious to make Affinity products their full time apps of choice?
I was reading through the product reviews for Designer on the Apple App Store and noticed a trend of people sharing a similar message: Affinity Designer is NOT Illustrator and that's a good thing! Many shared how they thought Designer was much improved over what Illustrator offers, despite not being as full-featured (yet). 
It made me want to go in to Affinity Designer and Photo with a new thought process - being open to the idea that there is a better way than Adobe, even if it lacks some of the critical features I use daily. I'm going to stop trying to force Affinity Designer to be Illustrator and let it be what the developers intended it to be, and then make Designer what I need it to be. For now I just to need to find as many work-around solutions to what I'm missing. 

Affinity is like a light in a dark tunnel; giving hope to a realistic alternative to slavery in the Adobe ecosystem. For the first time in years, I'm excited about the possibilities of design software again being effective, powerful and affordable. I'm excited to see a new way of thinking about vector and raster design. The idea that one day soon, I could design a complete shirt graphic on my ipad from anywhere and send it off to a client excites me. 
I'm holding on to hope that Affinity will hold to their goal of getting the main features (including the ones I wanted) before their 2.0 release and with the rate of updates so far, we're looking at seeing this come to fruition in the next year at most. Until then, I'm clinging to my copy of CS6 to have access to functions I still need. 

I cannot echo this loud enough. Recently I lost my graphic artist job but found a way to help from home doing freelance work over the internet. Imagine my horror when I find my old copy of Adobe CS4 would not work on my new machine. I was discouraged, let me tell you. Adobe is FAR too expensive to justify its subscription for a freelancer (much less a corporate office) and I was desperate for answers. Then I found Affinity Designer and Photo, and I could not more happy with it. No, its not the same but I would do it again. Its almost as powerful and can even do things Adobe cannot, which I adore! I love this program and consider this a Godsend.

It has been a little rocky at first, trying to learn this new system as I was using Adobe for almost two decades, but I am loving it. The one major thing I miss is Free Distort and Blend Object (or whatever you want to call it). I am working on a project now where it could come in real handy. Any news would be welcome, but I understand it is not the same as typing a few keys and clicking DONE.

Here's another user who is suddenly quite shocked and surprised that this fundamental set of tools isn't hiding somewhere... Really enjoying working with Infinity Designer, but this is certainly an unexpected wall to slam quite violently into.

Photopea is an Open Source project hosted in GitHub. Photopea vector warp code can be reused / rewritten into AD so you don't need to start coding from scratch. Later on you may implement your own approach to warping. In the meantime AD users will not be forced to break their workflow. Please let us know how you feel about this suggestion. Do you think it is feasible?

Thanks.

Petr