You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Workarounds for Distortion, Warp, or Perspective distort?

23 hours ago, v_kyr said:

The overall problem here AFAI see it will then be, it's as always more or less just a talk between users.

Um…that's what user forums are.

Meaning the Affinity team is either ignoring those…

Nonsense. The former in no way implies the latter. And the contrary is more often demonstrated in this forum than in any other software user forum in which I participate. But there's no need for the company's developers to answer each and every repetitive rant.

And you said "either…", which implies an "or…", which you did not provide. So I will:

...or the Affinity team (i.e., the privately owned company) is following the development path (priorities and sequence) which makes most senses for its (not your; not my) product development, and has neither time for, nor interest in, listening to a bunch of repetitive, rude, insulting immature rants from self-proclaimed 'professionals' convinced that their personal pet peeve is always the one upon which the future of the graphics world pivots, and that everyone else is an amateurish dolt.

JET

1 hour ago, JET_Affinity said:

Nonsense. The former in no way implies the latter. And the contrary is more often demonstrated in this forum than in any other software user forum in which I participate. But there's no need for the company's developers to answer each and every repetitive rant.

I agree wholeheartedly! One think I really appreciate is Affinitys use of these forums to post updates on new versions and even new beta version with detailed changelog (like this). There is often Affinity replies to user feedback on specific bugs there as well. That is very useful in my opinion, and not seen from many of the larger software companies.

2 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

Um…that's what user forums are. 

No it's not just a plain user forum in the common sense here, it also handles and addresses support questions, software bug tracking, beta testing etc.

Nonsense. The former in no way implies the latter. And the contrary is more often demonstrated in this forum than in any other software user forum in which I participate. But there's no need for the company's developers to answer each and every repetitive rant. ...

First of all nobody said to "rant" here in this forum, which generally isn't a good way to communicate with each other here or elsewhere. 

And you said "either…", which implies an "or…", which you did not provide. So I will: ...

Nope, I said either way, which was meant in the sense that somebody from the team who is allowed to give a statement in this regard (sort of an outlook of active or future development steps of certain features, in this case for some vector distortion feature ) could tell or give a hint. Which then probably or hopefully would make threads like this one here then obsolete.

...or the Affinity team (i.e., the privately owned company) is following the development path (priorities and sequence) which makes most senses for its (not your; not my) product development, and has neither time for, nor interest in, listening to a bunch of repetitive, rude, insulting immature rants ...

For ranting (see also my above reply) and the like there are also the forum netiquette guidelines, which usually tell to keep to be in a nice tone with each other, also there are forum moderators here which can intervene if things get too clashing.

...from self-proclaimed 'professionals' convinced that their personal pet peeve is always the one upon which the future of the graphics world pivots, and that everyone else is an amateurish dolt.

Since I don't know the people in person which do participate in the forum here, I can't and won't say anything about their individual professionalism. I personally can only speak commonly or generally about certain such aspects. So if someone is a so called self-proclaimed professional or amateur is at last irrelevant for me here, since even amateur can get somehow professional by learning/doing etc.

Further this is the feature request & suggestion section, I gave my feature request and suggestions, it would be fine to also get some feedback from Affinity here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, hellobill said:

Is there an Edit in Photo option? I can't find it. I'm sure I'm missing the obvious. -billb

Yes, in the File menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

Just for the record - I'd be happy to give serif more money - if that helps. I can't see how they even stay in business at this price point. I have no idea how complex this sort of thing is - but if someone just said "it's really hard because of x and y - and that it would slow down y and z - or we don't have the money to do it / I'd be happier to accept the 4 or 5 things that keep me in Illustrator for most things. It's strange that I can use perspective and transforms like this - with HTML and CSS.

• Staff
8 hours ago, sheriffderek said:

Just for the record - I'd be happy to give serif more money - if that helps.....

Thanks for the offer. What we need is more hours in the day and/or more developers

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 5/9/2020 at 4:04 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Thanks for the offer. What we need is more hours in the day and/or more developers

Well, you can't have more hours in the day - BUT you can hire more people. Those salaries seem really low - so, that's why I suggest getting more money involved. More people / more money / just a few more features. ; )

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

@MarioInghilleri

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

I am sorry that you feel ripped off.If you have just bought the software there is a moneyback guarantee, but We think the software is an excellent professional design tool, albeit one that doesn't have this function

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

I am not party to that info. I would love to have written it...

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

8 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@MarioInghilleri

We think the software is an excellent professional design tool, albeit one that doesn't have this function

https://www.pm4dev.com/pm4dev-blog/entry/who-defines-quality.html

🙃

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, albertoMartinsen said:

I bought Affinity Designer this spring and today I begun using it for the first time on a project and I came here to see how to simply deform a shape, because I couldn't find such an basic feature. My jaw just dropped.

That also describes my reaction from 6 YEARS AGO - but found out it was on the roadmap for version 1 which put me at ease a little - I'm not at ease any more!?!?!?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Wouldn't it be hilarious if it's been available from the start but the boffins decided to switch it off for a laugh - Ha ha ha......... come on, you can switch it on now 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 2 months later...

Rasterizing vectors in Photo is certainly not a solution. I need 100% vector.

We need to export vector output in vector format files. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Even though it's a bit inconvenient, I also use Photo in parallel to make my distortions. If you use the live filters and then return to Designer via the editing path, the vector graphics remain and you can even use the perspective filter again in Designer without having to switch back to Photo. I have tried this several times now and it works.

But unfortunately, the graphics are later converted to bitmaps when they are output. Unfortunately, that is not so nice.

I'm curious whether the perspectives and distortion tools will be added to Designer in the next major update.