You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Workarounds for Distortion, Warp, or Perspective distort?

1 hour ago, duckrabbit said:

When working solo, software costs weigh. When working in a large studio, software costs weigh heavily.

How would I not know that? :1_grinning: We are quite a few with a CC licence - and equipment far more expensive. We all need the features. Because they matter measured in possibilities and speed. Orders and results. Introducing low cost hobbyist software, limitations and work arounds ad libitum would be a more expensive experience; a death blow, actually.

The tons of internet discussions and far fetched hypothesizes just doesn't affect reality.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

4 hours ago, Kuttyjoe said:

They're saying that they hate Adobe in the strongest terms.  They're saying that they love Serif in the strongest terms. 

And that is what all this is about. Tribal behavior. Android vs Apple. Microsoft vs Linux. Canon vs Nikon. USA vs Russia. Full frame vs crop sensor.

Meanwhile some people are actually trying to reach a goal and earn a dime using the software. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

The software company Serif stopped developing its previous graphic software (since 1991 PagePlus, since 1994 DrawPlus and since 1999 PhotoPlus ) [1] in favor of the Affinity series. [2]Obviously, by turning Adobe away from software sales and moving from the Creative Suite to the Creative Cloud, it was recognized that there was a need for an alternative in the market. From 2014 Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer were first developed for the Mac , in 2016 versions for Windows were added. [3] In July 2018, Affinity Designer was released for the iPad . [4]

The above IMO sums it up well overall. - So the Affinity series continues where the previous legacy tools stopped, but now instead sharing a base rendering engine, a common file format and some interoperations among the apps, further enhancing the previously Win limited platform support (nowadays Win & Mac/iOS). In terms of pricing, they have stayed true to their line, which means AFAIK their previous legacy tools also didn't cost much more. Feature wise the Affinity line isn't yet on par with their older legacy line, even a lot has been taken over from their previous software versions here (not just certain GUI elements and their handling, but also underlaying related routines).

About professional ...

professional

pro·fes·sion·al | \ prə-ˈfesh-nəl
, -ˈfe-shə-nᵊl \

Definition of professional

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c(1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession
(2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs a professional golfer
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career a professional soldier
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return professional football
3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession a professional patriot

professional

noun

Definition of professional (Entry 2 of 2)

: one that is professional especially : one that engages in a pursuit or activity professionally

Examples of professional in a Sentence

Adjective Do you have any professional experience?
You should seek professional advice.

First Known Use of professional

Adjective

1606, in the meaning defined at sense 1a

Noun

1811, in the meaning defined above

Can the Adobe suite stuff, people use here always as comparisons, be seen as to be professional software (?). Sure it's what people (those working in specialized related businesses and earning their money with...) in the graphics and publishing domain etc. mostly use as their main daily working tools, so the defacto standards in those domains.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

No "tribal" reasoning here…

I have worked with Adobe Software since always, and always *have* preferred the InDesign UI over QXP (as a matter of aesthetics over power).

I have however *always* criticised the monopolist position of *any* software company, and the Adobe monopoly is a fact.

Any monopolist software has always chosen status quo & stagnation over pushing boundaries. I know some of this is perception (as nobody counts the non-monopolist status quo because they lose in the long run too), but I sense a misplaced disdain for what Affinity is actually capable of.

I have (since APub's anouncement several years ago) tried to decouple myself from the Adobe workspace for 3 specific reasons:

1. Their subscription model (and no guarantee they won't fix/manipulate prices) that was just too steep
  2. Their not even trying to solve *ancient* bugs with an impact on real world applications
  3. Their politics in handling Apple (as much Apple's fault, I know!) concerning their fullscreen compatibility, 64-bit handling, updates, Flash etc… which made me fear there might suddenly arrive a "break" between Apple (my hardware) and Adobe (my software)

Since APub, I *can* go Adobe-free (and am doing it!). Professionally. NO other set of tools let me do this with confidence!

AS OF THIS YEAR I strictly work in Affinity tools *professionally*, even if I have to take some precautions (not promising stuff I could do in Adobe to clients who don't care how I did it, eg)

And concerning the insights into software development, *please* get some humility, because not all programmers/coders are like *you*, and not all projects resemble *your* projects. When asking the question "Why don't they…?" it is not always "Because they choose to (annoy people like me)". Sometimes it's just because there is something else at play. (reread my posts above)

Otherwise you end up like QXP, who wanted to rewrite their codebase, just kept on adding resources and people, and came out on the other side with a huge bloated, expensive tool nobody wanted anymore. I for one can't wait for a Post Mortem once Affinity becomes a wellknown Adobe alternative, in which all these choices get explained. But then that's my weird kind of interest…

Warp tools aren't the stuff that separates the pro tool from the amateur tool. There are amateur tools that have warp options.

Being confident about the output, so you can make sound promises and predictions to your clients (and have no sudden ripping issues with your print shop or printer) *is*. 

3 hours ago, duckrabbit said:

I have however *always* criticised the monopolist position of *any* software company, and the Adobe monopoly is a fact.
Their politics in handling Apple (as much Apple's fault, I know!) concerning their fullscreen compatibility, 64-bit handling, updates, Flash etc… which made me fear there might suddenly arrive a "break" between Apple (my hardware) and Adobe (my software)

Personally I probably should be thankful to Adobe, though for other reasons here. As a youngster when I started working in the IT domain, it were some kind people from Adobe which introduced me (during a computer fair) to other important people from NeXT then, where I later worked for in a subsidiary. -  In the past there was a cooperation between Adobe and NeXT (later again Apple) due to the underlayed used Display Postscript engine in NeXTstep/OpenStep. Those days the tools of interest for designers, artists, publishers etc. were mostly from other graphics related companies like Altsys Virtuoso (Freehand), FrameMaker (Frame Technology), Page-Make, Lighthouse, TopDraw, ... etc. Adobe Illustrator came late to the NS party and most people prefered instead Freehand. - Later many former companies of the graphics and publishing sector have been (in the one or other way) assimilated by Adobe and thus disappeared as companies from the market. Apple later after aquiring NeXT changed the DisplayPS dependencies in favor of Quartz (also due to licensing dependency reasons).

3 hours ago, duckrabbit said:

Warp tools aren't the stuff that separates the pro tool from the amateur tool. There are amateur tools that have warp options.

IMO nobody said that, there are generally different distortion methods and functionalities available and used accross a bunch of different software.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

13 hours ago, v_kyr said:

About professional ...

professional

pro·fes·sion·al | \ prə-ˈfesh-nəl
, -ˈfe-shə-nᵊl \

Definition of professional

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c(1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession
(2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs a professional golfer
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career a professional soldier
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return professional football
3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession a professional patriot

professional

noun

Definition of professional (Entry 2 of 2)

: one that is professional especially : one that engages in a pursuit or activity professionally

Examples of professional in a Sentence

Adjective Do you have any professional experience?
You should seek professional advice.

First Known Use of professional

Adjective

1606, in the meaning defined at sense 1a

Noun

1811, in the meaning defined above

That explains it perfectly.  According to that definition, we'd have a harder time proving that a piece of software is NOT pro than proving that one is pro.  The bar for being considered pro is pretty low.  If as a professional I pick up a stick and use in the pursuit of money, then this stick is the tool of a professional.  It's a pro tool.  It's pro.  That's why pro is useful as a marketing term.  People will use their imaginations to flesh it out.  Some will say that Photoshop is professional software, and it is according to this definition.  But if we're using freeware in exactly the same way, then the freeware must also be professional software since it is used by a professional in the pursuit of money.  Those are things that can be proven or disproved.  Everything else is in our imaginations and opinions.

I think the whole thing always lies in the perspective of the viewer. So to speak, from which side you look at it.

1 hour ago, Kuttyjoe said:

That explains it perfectly.  According to that definition, we'd have a harder time proving that a piece of software is NOT pro than proving that one is pro.  The bar for being considered pro is pretty low.  If as a professional I pick up a stick and use in the pursuit of money, then this stick is the tool of a professional.  It's a pro tool.  It's pro.  That's why pro is useful as a marketing term.  People will use their imaginations to flesh it out.  Some will say that Photoshop is professional software, and it is according to this definition.  But if we're using freeware in exactly the same way, then the freeware must also be professional software since it is used by a professional in the pursuit of money.  Those are things that can be proven or disproved.  Everything else is in our imaginations and opinions.

I knew (professional) mechanics that used wrenches that were not professional tools--the company that made & marketed them said they were not. Of course, they also made professional versions for a higher cost. They marketed to each segment distinctly, but the marketing for the pro versions was designed to grab X percentage of the non-pro consumer.

Using features as a test for what is/isn't professional is prone to failure as a test.

On 1/20/2020 at 3:24 PM, v_kyr said:
On 1/20/2020 at 11:53 AM, duckrabbit said:

IMO nobody said that, there are generally different distortion methods and functionalities available and used accross a bunch of different software.

I would agree with that. I am using Affinity also in production since a while (even if for painting/drawing I use heavily Clip Studio), but Designer have been fully used for all my design related stuff (when using vector tools), lately (including logos, brochures, covers, etc). When needed a distort or warp, yup, is cumbersome to need to swap to Inkscape, and bring the nodes later, as needed, back to Designer. No biggie once I got used to it (at design/game/software companies used to swap a lot among tools, use VMs, all sort of context changes). Same with mesh gradient (different to Illustrator's, but I like it), and when urgently needed (speaking here about a very tight time sensitive deliver) to make a vector based illustration containing an spiral with distributed elements across it, going these with the orientation of the spiral (I believe I remember even with increasing spacing among them, progressively).  All of it I got it done fast in Inskcape, the exact functionality was there (hadn't done that very specific thing before in Inkscape. Yet got it in minutes, and back to AD), export as basic nodes (as I don't need there the colors or complex printing stuff, is just the nodes of the function non doable in the other tool).  I use other helper tools that are non complete or standalone by any means, but do ONE thing incredibly well, sometimes even better than illustrator. Is not only Inkscape. Even for inking with a vector brush, I kindda prefer the special Inkscape's inking tool for that (but I prefer painting/drawing with raster tools, so I rarely need that). While I would never do a full project in Inskcape, due to the UI and export/print/color management compliance. What I just told was among the many workflows and projects I made with Designer this year and the past one, all delivered to great satisfaction of the writers, game designers, and business owners who got that result and service. They typically care about the result, not the tool or whatever I have resorted to do with the quality as a key goal. When they care about the tool is as they will want to modify it (something scary for me, in most cases), more common in larger companies. Even in those cases, a clean file with raster laters (flattened FX  and etc) layers, well organized and named is all they typically care about. And Photo, Krita, Clip Studio and Gimp can export at least a PSD like that. This is from someone who knows Adobe suite deeply (at many jobs), as well as the main Autodesk's tools. Not some Gimp fan who has not used anything else and does not even know what is missing.

I kind of see a connection with the car mechanics anecdote and the wrenches. Maybe more than one would tell me "I'm not behaving professionally", or not using professional tools. IMO (and I agree with some post above: it can be a subjective matter) professional is everything you do to get a result. If plumber uses at my house some tape and rope to temporarily fix some pipe, so that I have water till next day when he can come with a piece and  a better solution, and the result is a definitive repair, am all for that, it is professional.

It is even more the case when I rarely have used, and watched using a workflow that was "pure" Adobe or pure Autodesk, when worked for decades at companies. Many extra tools constantly needed. There were always issues and things that would anyone with a brain scratch own head if at that critical moment when due to a major bug or lack, a whole project stage would get severely damaged for those problems. And some were huge. I remember resorting to CG Chat, Polycount and CG Talk for issues, crashes, and crazy problems in 3DS Max (an absolute standard, at the level of Maya, each one just getting more of a side of the business or some fields vs others. But dominating several industries, fully. And both since a while are Autodesk's property) that no doc, no oficial document would solve or address, but some other pro in some commercial studio had dealt with that, and had the nice and generous idea of posting their dirty and dark trick in some hard to find thread in those places (shall we all thank forum search systems).  This happened WAY often. More with Autodesk than Adobe, but still. And those are THE standard!

Is not like the "Professional" tools aren't plagued with bugs, issues, bad workflows and lacks of features for very common procedures. A lot of established opinions about those deserving  such pedestal goes with perception, following the mass, and habits. Yep, we are lacking here features. Distort and warp, a mesh gradient, sound to me as essential, even basic. But is not impossible, not even difficult, to provide yourself with a fully functional workflow to get high quality results. With Illustrator (which I know well due to working at companies) any of  those projects would have roughly take the same time (with a much higher co$t), as Designer allows to cut times in other areas. Photo is very efficient, too ...and there are even more raster mid cost and free tools to cover some lack, if there's any need in a particular workflow.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

...but Designer have been fully used for all my design related stuff (when using vector tools), lately (including logos, brochures, covers, etc). When needed a distort or warp, yup, is cumbersome to need to swap to Inkscape, and bring the nodes later, as needed, back to Designer...

That's the overall point here, due to those feature lacks in this regard, one have to use time consuming cumbersome workarounds via other third party software. Also often the data format exchange between AD and other apps isn't always handled painless 1:1 then.

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

Is not like the "Professional" tools aren't plagued with bugs, issues, bad workflows and lacks of features for very common procedures.

Everything from a certain code size and complexity is always more difficult to maintain, no matter if professional or not (one of Murphy's laws). There are also often things developers don't or can't take into account, or couldn't imagine at all somebody would ever do (pressing undertermined keys or buttons here and there etc.), but then those things when done can possibly core a software. It's sometimes difficult to check and test every possibility and eventuality here. Further there might also be bugs and misbehaving in reused third party code (...libs, frameworks etc.) nobody since yet is really aware of. - There are many scenarios that I can outline and have seen in this regard.

As a 20yr professional working in print (AND online) “pro” starts or ends at the printer’s compliance.

Whenever the printer says there’s a problem, or the final printed result is different from what you expected... Boom... You lose money, time, jobs etc.

Since APub, the Affinity suite is standards compliant (printable pdfs, export alternatives that are respected by the industry, and possibility of opening/exporting Adobe files.

All else is subjective.

And by these standards, Adobe CS 1 and 1.5 were not professional yet when they came out. (Because of ID’s bugs at the time.)

On 1/18/2020 at 12:14 AM, Jowday said:

apologists immediately destroy any attempt at starting a discussion about the features themselves.

I haven't read all of your post regarding this missing features, but from what I gather, your messages can be summarized as follows:

• How Serif take bad decisions
  • How unprofessional Designer is
  • How the marketing is misleading

I tried going forward by creating a topic to discuss Distortion / Warping thing and what's wanted by us, with little participation from all that wrote here, but I hope it becomes that first step to talk about the features themselves.

Best regards!

Just now, haakoo said:

My thoughts exactly :(

Also, I was forgetting:

• How professional Jowday really is (something I'm not denaying in any way)
  • How fanboys we are (because we don't look this matter with the same perspective)

But those are more personal things and I rather ignore them, but it's worth mentioning them due to the constant repetition of those statements in similar Topics.

Best regards!

37 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

I tried going forward by creating a topic to discuss Distortion / Warping thing and what's wanted by us, with little participation from all that wrote here, but I hope it becomes that first step to talk about the features themselves.

The overall problem here AFAI see it will then be, it's as always more or less just a talk between users. Meaning the Affinity team is either ignoring those aka the roaring silence (since I always see no statements from them related to such themes). Thus I often think that it doesn't matter if somebody posts any opinions or suggestions here, as either way nobody really seems to care about that. Instead the result is often only that users are bashing each other and the like due to different opinions and views of positions.

Therefore I am lately often skeptical overall, whether it is worth taking part in such discussions at all.

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

The overall problem here AFAI see it will then be, it's as always more or less just a talk between users. Meaning the Affinity team is either ignoring those aka the roaring silence (since I always see no statements from them related to such themes). Thus I often think that it doesn't matter if somebody posts any opinions or suggestions here, as either way nobody really seems to care about that. Instead the result is often only that users are bashing each other and the like due to different opinions and views of positions.

Therefore I am lately often skeptical overall, whether it is worth taking part in such discussions at all.

I understand. But since there have been times where Developers have engaged in some features discussions, I think it’s possible that this will be one of them.

Best regards!

@Mithferion and especially the constant unhappyface tagger @haakoo

I am simply requesting features for professional use that was once (and for years) on the now removed roadmap from a company with 33 years of experience who once had those features in DrawPlus and who is in fact marketing the products as "pro-end" but clearly focused on digital painters and other products for years. Designer needs some serious attention now. I am certainly not the only one making this kind of claims and requests either.

I think it is very obvious what people need - the more pressing question is... why not soon. Workarounds do not attract... professionals (more customers).

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

I am simply requesting features for professional use that was once (and for years) on the now removed roadmap

And I am with you on that, as I have mentioned before.

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

Designer needs some serious attention now. I am certainly not the only one making this kind of claims and requests either.

Totally.

There is no disagreement on those specific points: we want and need some popular features, requiered for a wide range of use cases.

That's why I started the Topic where I listed 4 types of Distortions to cocer all of our requirements, the idea behind them. How they are going to be developed is another story, but for the greater good, we require all.

It's on other claims where we disagree, but that's fine by me.

Best regards!

3 hours ago, haakoo said:

@Jowday glad to be of assistance,you don't request yourself,you seem to be only liking and commenting on those threads where people show discontent with serif and their approach or the lack thereof.

Also your signature and weblink shows how much you really value serif and the developers,it makes me wonder what you are doing here besides bashing and dissing people who don't share your opinion all in the name of professionalism.

Your comments on some threads are under par and that's why I dislike them.

Maybe you could just let Serif police their own forums and stop trying to tell other people what they can or can't say.  How about that?

9 hours ago, Jowday said:

@Mithferion and especially the constant unhappyface tagger @haakoo

I am simply requesting features for professional use that was once (and for years) on the now removed roadmap from a company with 33 years of experience who once had those features in DrawPlus and who is in fact marketing the products as "pro-end" but clearly focused on digital painters and other products for years. Designer needs some serious attention now. I am certainly not the only one making this kind of claims and requests either.

I think it is very obvious what people need - the more pressing questions is... why not soon. Workarounds do not attract... professionals (more customers).

Many of us in the other side are actual professionals earning money with Affinity. CURRENTLY and since long, and with the current, and past versions of AD and AP. I definitely am one. Is not like one of the sides in the debate is formed by professionals and the other isn't (that's even funny). I've recently been able to exchange work and samples with two persons (in a different community!) that had been years claiming to be super pros, and when I have been able to check stuff (and them mine), man has it been revealing. It is a very bad claim to make around here, specially as an argument in the fashion of: I am more professional than you, so I "know". Back it up with reasons , technical ones, as in any debate about tech stuff. And then we will argue with that, often the final truth staying in the middle. 

Workarounds ARE the everyday of so, so, sooo many professionals that it's not even funny. 10 companies and not only me, so many colleagues have always used workarounds, with the industry standard tools as I was even detailing in a recent post. Of course, minimizing the need of those is a must. I have never been against the implementation of these two features. Indeed, I'd say there are a few that are also pending, very important, in the Affinity apps (I'd love some added and other fixed in the Adobe and Autodesk ones too, BTW. Since many years).

About the focus on digital painters... don't get me started. They have worked great there, but what they have addressed are some features and bugs in the very basic brush system in Photo, but photo retouch field does need to have a flawless brush for so many operations (ask any high end pro working editing magazine covers of studio photos of very high end level. And all use tablets). And the tablet precision issues was affecting even making a lasso for any operation (freaking dented contours!), so commonly used in image editing / photo retouch. Selections and masks are the soul of photo retouch, had to make a lot of  that at many jobs. That's heavily more in the land of photography than in digital painting. Digital painters are also professionals, when they do it professionally, BTW.

Designer now needs some love. YEP!!! Absolutely. In my hands at least, is proven to be EXTREMELY efficient. Maybe I am a more experience professional, then. Still, by no means this is to say that adding these features (and fixing some problems) is not of critical importance. Should surely be on the top of the list. So... we are agreeing in everything? NOPE. The harsh criticism without knowing what is happening there internally, neither considering the tools' price, the tone, is with what I can never agree. Also, as just mentioned, what is the point ? Generating animosity in a certain matter/feature is only going to make them have a less positive attitude in adding it. And they'll act as professionals, but we are all human, and motivation plays a big role.

Another thing I don't get to understand is :  If for many, the difference on behavior, quality, industry standards, logo, and whatever, is so much better with Adobe, what is their point in being YEARS waiting around here for a feature ? I mean, they clearly DO NOT love these apps, or adore Adobe's in comparison, why then don't just use Adobe suite? Isn't it then a huge waste of their professional time ? And time is money. To me it is. Is it because the company they work at pays the subscription but they are not willing to pay from own pockets one for home? If so, they should admit that honestly and how if being so, they depend on Serif. Or... just be fully coherent, and simply pay with your own money 60 bucks per month (and whatever it increases to be in the future) for the Adobe suite subscription.

I would TOTALLY agree with criticism here, in that the features must be added. Heck, while doing projects, I've seen me wishing to have to make less "jumps", even if I do that at the speed of light. But the tone, borderline with insults at times, is IMO what removes relevance to the conversation. Because they haven't added this or that, then they ARE this or that (insert here whatever insult or disqualification), is the wrong point of the whole thing, even if the technical points were pretty valid and solid till that moment. Same with insulting users calling  them unprofessional (while a real comparison of skills and experience might end up being super funny, with some...)

I HOPE distort (even if perspective is added later, as you can deal with distort) and warp are implemented the earlier possible. But we don't want it done like a faulty outline stroke. They make the right call if don't add a feature in a poor way (seems the reason why they don't add a vectorizer), but only if they are sure they can implement something  solid. I'm not in the other band in these, but absolutely against the tone, manners (of some, not all), and disqualifications/insults directed to the company. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

In this world we tend to give too much importance to the instrument, it is more important than professional that the man who uses it.

In over thirty years of work I have had the opportunity to see many people, really professional, who brought out splendid works from simple tools.

Often, very simple software from small software houses have the ability to solve specific tasks because they focus only on these while larger software must necessarily be generalists.

In the Adobe family, plug-ins have multiplied that had very specific specific qualities ... and as SrPx often writes, if you turn to the world of "3D" you will find out how many things change and change continuously, the rendering engines to give an example typical.

I understand that for many to scream or fear a non-professionalism of Serif's tools is a way to stimulate them, but I would prefer that the implementation of new utilities corresponds with the quality of the same.

Distortions, Warp and Perspectives are very useful but too often low quality tools, I prefer to work by hand until I find something that does it equally well.

In Affinity there are many tools that need to be improved, see the stroke expansion, which I frankly prefer to wait for than having a tool that works badly.
In the meantime, I discovered that Affinity has solved so many important things to me compared to my normal workflow, so much so that I have definitively abandoned Adobe after more than thirty years of loyalty.