You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scaling Text with Image in Affinity Designer

I've gotten a lot of help here over the past few months and now I have another question. I created a logo, and with the help of this forum was able to set it up so that the line thickness, 3d effects, and gaussian blur effects, all scale with the image when I'm changing it's size. Now I need to know, is there a way to make the text under the logo scale with the object, because right now when I shrink it down, the text is part of the group and the font size doesn't change.

You need to use Artistic Text for the text under the logo. Did you use Frame Text instead?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, photogeek said:

I used the artistic because I had to have it follow a curve.

In that case, it should scale if your settings are correct.

Alfred spacer.png

There's a 'Scale with object' checkbox in the Stroke panel, but that only affects the stroke applied to the text. The text characters themselves should scale correctly when you resize the logo, regardless of whether the component parts are grouped or not.

It would be easier to help you troubleshoot this if you could attach your *.afdesign file here.

Alfred spacer.png

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

You need to use Artistic Text for the text under the logo.

At least on the Mac version, Artistic text on a curve scales with the curve only if it is done by dragging the extra 9th control handle located below & to the right of the bounding box on the canvas. Scaling via the Transform panel or dragging on any of the normal 8 bounding box control handles (annoyingly!) does not scale the text.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Artistic text on a curve scales with the curve only if it is done by dragging the extra 9th control handle located below & to the right of the bounding box on the canvas.

Apart from the "on a curve" bit, it sounds to me as though you're describing Frame Text, not Artistic Text.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Apart from the "on a curve" bit, it sounds to me as though you're describing Frame Text, not Artistic Text.

"On the curve" is the bit that keeps it from scaling normally:

5a8e0c01b832a_arttextoncurve.png.b5e617134bb889f2c396ba3230c96bcd.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Ah, OK. I was under the misapprehension that the ninth control handle was exclusively a Frame Text thing.

Alfred spacer.png

On 2/21/2018 at 5:00 PM, R C-R said:

At least on the Mac version, Artistic text on a curve scales with the curve only if it is done by dragging the extra 9th control handle located below & to the right of the bounding box on the canvas. Scaling via the Transform panel or dragging on any of the normal 8 bounding box control handles (annoyingly!) does not scale the text.

Thank you so much man. I kept ignoring that one because I didn't know what it did.