You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I delete all hidden layers?

Unfortunately, there is no option for selecting all hidden layers with a single click, as far as I know. You can select all visible layers with a single command, but there is currently no way to invert this selection. But why do you want to delete your invisible layers anyway? They won’t appear in your exported file … :)

Well, if you really want, you could do the following:

• Select > Select All. This will select all your visible layers.
  • Layer > Lock. This will lock all your visible layers.
  • Select > Deselect. This will deselect all your visible and locked layers.
  • Layer > Show All. This will turn your invisible layers visible and select them.
  • Backspace to delete the selected layers.

Hope that helps … :)

Alex 

EDIT I would try such global actions always with a copy of your file first … just for security reasons …

4 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

But why do you want to delete your invisible layers anyway?

Good question, Alex! I always thought the whole idea of hiding layers was to exclude them temporarily (e.g. when exporting an image) but keep them available for later work. If you don’t want to keep them, you might as well delete them in the first place.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

(I would try such global actions always with a copy of your file first … just for security reasons … ;))

You might want to edit your previous post to include that valuable piece of advice, so that it doesn’t get overlooked. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Provided you have no locked layers

Here are 2 other methods

Select > Select All Layers
Edit > Copy
File > New from Clipboard

Which will only copy layers that are not hidden into a new document

Or if you want to stay in the same document (and have nerves of steel)

Select > Select All Layers
Edit > Copy

Select all Layers in the Layer panel and hit the Trash icon
Then Edit > Paste

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2018 at 6:53 AM, Alfred said:

Good question, Alex! I always thought the whole idea of hiding layers was to exclude them temporarily (e.g. when exporting an image) but keep them available for later work. If you don’t want to keep them, you might as well delete them in the first place.

I just found this thread and will answer this open question. If you're sending a file for printing, you may want to send a leaner file version with only the essential otherwise you might have to send a huge image file, multiple times the size of the original. Sending a PSD file allows for minor corrects as may be needed at the print shop. I do see an option in the export PSD area which might also hide layers but I usually manually go through cycling down with my down arrow and hitting the delete button just to make sure I don't delete something I might also want to have included. 

• 5 months later...

I have to say "delete hidden" would be a great option. I am sending files to print and I dont want to leave any room for accident to happen (somebody turning ON something that should not be printed). I am missing that option almost as much as "select all objects with the same fill color".