DMcD

svg image position rendered differently across Mac and Windows

Hi everyone, 

I seem to have encountered a situation where an svg image that I've created in Affinity Designer is rendered differently, depending on whether I open it on a Mac (which is the platform I'm using Designer on) or a Windows PC.  

I'll attach two screenshots showing the difference.  You'll note that the letter "S" in one screenshot (taken from the Windows PC) appears to have gone for a little wander.  And this remained so, seemingly regardless of the Windows application I opened it in (I say "seemingly" because my tests weren't exhaustive, but I tried multiple browsers, at least).

Perhaps it's worth mentioning, too, that I only purchased Affinity Designer yesterday (again, that being the Mac version), so it could be that I'm missing something, but if so, it's not plain to me where I might have gone wrong.  And indeed, nothing would have alerted me to the discrepancy had I not been switching between Mac and PC.

Anyhow, by all means let me know if I can provide more information.  But at first blush, it does seem to be something of a bug.

Denis

PS:  Also, if it helps, I was able to repeat the problem (ie, by exporting a fresh svg).  And when I then tried exporting the image as a png file instead, the problem was resolved (ie, the "S" was aligned properly on my Windows PC). 

macchromegrab.jpeg

winchromegrab.JPG

Edited by DMcD
Added postscript

Are you sure the same fonts (Gill Sans) are available and used on both Mac & Win system here? - In your screenshots the shown up fonts for "SHOW" look very different to me.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.8.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.8.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Ohh, I see now.  v_kyr, many thanks. 

I now blush, of course, having submitted this as a potential bug, when it seems that I just didn't understand the svg format with respect to text.

And I now appreciate (having quickly read up on the subject) that for svgs containing text, I need to do a conversion to curves (Layer > Convert to Curves).

So, in turn, thanks for bearing with own learning curve!  And, again, I'm sorry for what seems to have been a false alarm.

Denis

Well as it is, it can be used too (with SVG text and font references) as far as the fonts for text you are using are well defined, available and loaded correctly between the different OS systems in the SVG code here. But in order to overcome possible font availability issues, converting text to curves before exporting is a safe way, as far as the text inside the SVG code hasn't to be kept intact for easier later possible modifications in other apps.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.8.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.8.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Thanks again, v_kyr.

I suppose, though, it still doesn't quite explain (as least to me) why the alignment of that "S" character changed.  But again, perhaps I'm just missing something.

It’s happening because an Arial ‘S’ (which is used as a substitute on Windows if you don’t have Gill Sans installed) is wider than the Gill Sans ‘S’ in the original text.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)