Coldmoon

Lost work after iPad shut down due to depleted battery

As I often foolishly do, I ignored the battery level warnings, and my first-generation iPad Pro shut down abruptly while I was working on a PSD that I’d imported from Procreate. When I restarted and opened AP, the document wasn’t there. I lost 45 minutes or so of work. Definitely not the end of the world, but I’m surprised that my document hadn’t been automatically saved while I worked on it. So, I’ve made a solemn vow that I’d never let my battery deplete again, but I’m thinking that this is a bug that should be checked out.

Thanks!

Hi Coldmoon,

Sorry to hear you have lost your work, If you select the Settings cog in the top right hand corner of the app you are able to change the Autosave Interval which will help in future projects, the autosaved file should appear for you on the welcome screen when the app is opened. However you should not solely rely on this (as with any app). This is why we implemented the 'Save as Copy' feature so you can save it to the cloud. 

Ensure that you're saving your work manually though just to be sure. :) 

@JFisher Doesn't Save a Copy create multiple saved files? Eg, file. File1, file2 etc. I would prefer it to just update changes to current file as in Save rather than Save a Copy.

Currently closing the file, left arrow, back to project screen seems to Save changes to the 'working' file.

Closing the file and tapping the 3 bars, then Save updates the Original file. Almost seems like those two menu functions should be interchanged.

The interval setting is a number. What does the number represent? Minimum is 30. Does that mean 30 minute save interval? If so it seems a little long.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB lpadOS 13.1.3  Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 Affinity Design 1.7.3.1 Publisher for iPad ?

The problem with a user forum being your only source of support/communication is that you get well-meaning but condescending responses from people that don’t directly address your question and are mainly blame-the-user cheerleading for the app devs.  

Currently my autosave interval setting is at 300, a figure that I didn’t choose. Like DM1, I have no idea what that means. 300 seconds? 300 minutes? 300 light years? Serif knows, I bet, but they’re not telling. They’re waiting for some “Advanced Member” to answer the questions for them. 

Also, that was not my point—I lost 45 minutes of work because my iPad shut down. That was the entire time I had that doc open. Autosave has worked very well after the many crashes and hangs I’ve experienced with this app. However, It did not work when my iPad suddenly shut down. That strikes me as a tech problem that should be addressed by Serif. 

Based on this experience, I have absolutely no reason to think that anyone from Serif will ever see my post. So what’s the point of posting possible bugs?

4 hours ago, Coldmoon said:

Based on this experience, I have absolutely no reason to think that anyone from Serif will ever see my post. So what’s the point of posting possible bugs?

Your first response WAS from Serif staff member according to his sig. :o

The serif guys are usually pretty responsive and helpful. I'm not sure they see this as a bug though. When the iPad shuts down from flat battery apps don't get a chance to save data. Maybe an iOS shortcoming.  My experience with computing has always been to save at regular intervals so their advice to do so seems reasonable to me.

I can't find any info in help regarding the auto save interval units though and have just set it to minimum to hopefully avoid your bad experience.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB lpadOS 13.1.3  Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 Affinity Design 1.7.3.1 Publisher for iPad ?

Hi Coldmoon,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

How much time has passed since you sent the file from Procreate as PSD to Affinity Photo? If it was less than five minutes then there wasn't enough time for Affinity Photo to save the file automatically for you (the units in the Autosave interval are seconds - the default is 300 seconds), otherwise it should have created a file in the Welcome Screen section. If you were working on the file in Affinity Photo more than five minutes then i'm not sure what went wrong. Were you using Affinity all the time (continuously) or did you have sent it to background a few times during the work?

12 hours ago, MEB said:

the units in the Autosave interval are seconds - the default is 300 seconds),

Thanks MEB. The slide adjuster makes sense now. Default 5minsx60 equals 300 secs. So if I want to autosave every 15 mins I just set the slider to 900. B|

Any chance the developers could add (Secs) after 'Autosave Interval' in Settings.