Jump to content
Coldmoon

How to delete projects

Recommended Posts

Thanks, @SnowQueen. Don’t you just love it when someone posts a question and then posts again to say they’ve found the answer but doesn’t say what the answer was! 9_9


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t you just love it when someone frames a comment sarcastically rather than constructively for no discernible reason except to feel momentarily superior? 

Thanks to SnowQueen for a straightforward answer, which is really all that was necessary.

I ended up thinking that I’d missed something  extremely basic that every user in the world (including Scotland) knew, so I cancelled my question to avoid sarcastic replies. How naive.

I’ll do better next time, Alfred! ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Hello, I didnt want to start another thread on this so-- I am very new to this and have tried all of the stuff that comes up in 'search' . Now, I am at a place where all that comes up is a "rename" option. So, right now, I have a 3/4 scale icon that will not open a file, and I cannot find the file name on the iPad or iCloud. I apologize for redundancy and wouldnt have re-opened this unless I was desperate . . . 

Thank you!

Image-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is very odd. Have you tried just tapping the icon to open the file, then close it again. It looks like it was corrupted when saving. Maybe resolving will restore the delete option.


IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.146 Affinity Design 1.7.1.1 Publisher for iPad ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DM1 said:

That is very odd. Have you tried just tapping the icon to open the file, then close it again. It looks like it was corrupted when saving. Maybe resolving will restore the delete option.

Thank you for responding DM1. When I tap the app, it gets larger, but nothing happens. It will not open. As you can see, "rename" is all that comes up in the hamburger. I have scanned the iPad for files and renamed it, and nothing. At this point, I think I am going to uninstall/reinstall the app. I think I am over-obsessing about it, because I want to keep the new iPad totally "clean" and all of my files in order. I guess not a first world problem, but minor annoyance all the same. Again, thank you for responding. 

As an aside, as a brand new (old) user, this is the only program out if all the usual iPad art programs that seems natural and everything works well for me, personally. That also determines why I really want to find out what is going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, l.w.mason said:

 I have scanned the iPad for files. 

Files inside the Home Screen will not necessarily appear on your iPad. Unless you actually saved them out to permanent storage, they are only stored inside Designer's allocated memory. They are not permanent files.

 


Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toltec said:

Files inside the Home Screen will not necessarily appear on your iPad. Unless you actually saved them out to permanent storage, they are only stored inside Designer's allocated memory. They are not permanent files.

 

Thank you toltec. So I should be able to find them in  Designer ?  I am so used to Inkscape, and Gimp and things like that, not having a simple delete function is proving to be quite frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, l.w.mason said:

Thank you toltec. So I should be able to find them in  Designer ?  I am so used to Inkscape, and Gimp and things like that, not having a simple delete function is proving to be quite frustrating.

No.

You have to think a bit differently because the iPad works differently to what us old-fashion types are used to with 'proper' computers.

There is no disc or memory as separate items. There is just memory, although unlike computer RAM you don't lose it if the iPad gets switched off. I expect that is why the 'Delete' option in the burger menu is actually called 'Close'. There is not actually anything on disc to delete, only a file 'open' inside Designer memory to 'close'. Probably!

What is stored in Designer's memory is all displayed in the home screen, there is no separate storage. You can choose to store it outside Designer's memory if you want, such as 'OnMyiPad' or 'iCloud', then it becomes a more permanent 'hard-disc' type file. That needs to be a deliberate 'Save' action though. If you did save the file outside Designer, you would then have to find it in the iOS Files app and Delete it.

You troublesome file is something different altogether. The fact you can't 'Close' it is not something I have seen before (not that I have that much experience of Designer on the iPad. Who has?). I guess the internal file has just got corrupted somehow, so there is nothing more you can do.

Either ignore it or delete and re-install Designer. 

 


Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, toltec said:

No.

You have to think a bit differently because the iPad works differently to what us old-fashion types are used to with 'proper' computers.

There is no disc or memory as separate items. There is just memory, although unlike computer RAM you don't lose it if the iPad gets switched off. I expect that is why the 'Delete' option in the burger menu is actually called 'Close'. There is not actually anything on disc to delete, only a file 'open' inside Designer memory to 'close'. Probably!

What is stored in Designer's memory is all displayed in the home screen, there is no separate storage. You can choose to store it outside Designer's memory if you want, such as 'OnMyiPad' or 'iCloud', then it becomes a more permanent 'hard-disc' type file. That needs to be a deliberate 'Save' action though. If you did save the file outside Designer, you would then have to find it in the iOS Files app and Delete it.

You troublesome file is something different altogether. The fact you can't 'Close' it is not something I have seen before (not that I have that much experience of Designer on the iPad. Who has?). I guess the internal file has just got corrupted somehow, so there is nothing more you can do.

Either ignore it or delete and re-install Designer. 

 

Thank you very much again toltec. That gives me a little more understanding of the way the iPad works, anyway. Phewww, I have a lot to learn.

Out of all the iPad art apps, I like this one the best, by far. That might change when I learn about this strange new world, but right now, Designer is it.

Thanks again and have a pleasant evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×