You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Continuous Curvature rounding (default)

Should be the default in my opinion, but Affinity really needs to add this functionality into the rounded rectangle tool and any other rounding algorithms.

Short answer: "Squircles" are what make Apple products have "more than rounded" corners.

Great article here:

https://hackernoon.com/apples-icons-have-that-shape-for-a-very-good-reason-720d4e7c8a14

1*PIHFvGyy5sWK_d0MX_PhMw.png

Hi @aekorps,

please see also this post from a couple of days ago:

Just for your information that a similar (not same) topic is here already.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

8 hours ago, aekorps said:

Thanks @dominik, but I don't need to "see" the combs, I just want to be able to have "rounder"/smoother curves like the above diagram shows.

I understand. Well, there is already a corner tool with variations of corners. This is perhaps the place where the squircle corners can find their future home in ADe :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't see any necessity to make this the default mode. In my opinion the "straight" geometric way – that is seeing rounded corners of a rectangle as regular quarter circles – is the purest way of looking at rounded corners. It might be a welcome option, though, to have the other way ("Apple rounded corners") as an alternative of choice.

@Lorox It might not seem like a big deal, but once you see how much better rounded corners anti-alias with the "Smart" rounding, even at small pixel sizes, it's impossible (for me at least) to un-see it. It just looks way better and smoother.

In addition to that, creating app icons for iPhone/iPad software, etc REQUIRES this type of rounding to match the radius of the app icon itself should you want to use any outlines, etc around the icon.

• 1 year later...
On 11/18/2018 at 7:01 AM, Lorox said:

I don't see any necessity to make this the default mode. In my opinion the "straight" geometric way – that is seeing rounded corners of a rectangle as regular quarter circles – is the purest way of looking at rounded corners. It might be a welcome option, though, to have the other way ("Apple rounded corners") as an alternative of choice.

I agree that it would be nice to have both options available; I personally don't care which one is the default.

17 hours ago, aekorps said:

If this could work with shapes that are NOT procedural/parametric default shapes, that would make it much more useful.

How would it be any different from what could be achieved by adjusting the control handles and the positions of the individual nodes that make up the shape?

On 12/4/2019 at 9:56 AM, fde101 said:

How would it be any different from what could be achieved by adjusting the control handles and the positions of the individual nodes that make up the shape?

It would be smoother around angles. Same as it would be around a square or any other shape.

• 4 months later...

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:01 AM, Lorox said:

Agree. I have nothing against this as an optional feature (although it would be so far down on my feature wish-list , given all the other more important things still needing work in Affinity) but...

Just because a (frankly, rather esoteric) geometric shape has been implemented by Apple as part of its branding design, does not mean such a currently vogue designerly fad should be foisted upon everyone else as a default.

By way of analogy, consider Inkscape's Spiro curves. It's certainly a very useful and even innovative feature for creating continually-circular curves, and I would even argue that it would be more highly valued than 'squircles'—were more designers aware of it—because it is more broadly versatile. But that certainly doesn't mean it should be implemented as a default for Bezier drawing behavior, either.

No matter how in-vogue it may be in the context of page design, consider, for example, the ramifications on the entire realm of technical illustration were it implemented as a default. Common radiused corners and edges of physical parts are not machined this way.

Even from a design standpoint, I dare say the current trendy infatuation with this will fade, as did pinstripes on Mac cases.

JET

2 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

No matter how in-vogue it may be in the context of page design, consider, for example, the ramifications on the entire realm of technical illustration were it implemented as a default. Common radiused corners and edges of physical parts are not machined this way.

Good point!

Certainly agree this should be optional, as other design tools have implemented it.

For us, this feature is becoming increasingly important part of our workflow in producing assets, for which we now have hoop jumping of creating the curves we need in other design tools, exporting the curves and then importing them into AD.

Sorry, Jet, but something being "in-vogue" has nothing to do with it. And yes, it is used in creating physical parts by a lot more companies than just Apple. It's called a C3 curve in manufacturing and CAD and it's used to create corners that smoothly transition from one surface to another. If you don't see the benefit, please ignore the post.

When something comes along that is clearly better, it should be embraced, in my opinion. This has nothing with a single implementation of "squircles". It's about ALL rounding algorithms in general as I said in my original post. Apple simply uses it in their graphics because it mirrors their manufacturing processes, and they (and I) think it looks better. If it was used by default, it would more likely adopted across the board and we could stop using the old (hideous) curves.

• 1 year later...

Completely unaware that this topic exists,

I have created this one with even a possible suggestion how this could be implemented in the UI.

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would have thought it would be straightforward enough to implement using ellipses. Here is my take on Apple’s rounded corners. https://www.designbygeometry.com/ios-icon-mask-corner-curve-study/

You can:

On 1/4/2022 at 11:56 AM, Chris Heath said:

I would have thought it would be straightforward enough to implement using ellipses. Here is my take on Apple’s rounded corners. https://www.designbygeometry.com/ios-icon-mask-corner-curve-study/

its not on par and not of acceptable quality.

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic