aekorps

Continuous Curvature rounding (default)

Should be the default in my opinion, but Affinity really needs to add this functionality into the rounded rectangle tool and any other rounding algorithms.

Short answer: "Squircles" are what make Apple products have "more than rounded" corners.

Great article here:

https://hackernoon.com/apples-icons-have-that-shape-for-a-very-good-reason-720d4e7c8a14

1*PIHFvGyy5sWK_d0MX_PhMw.png

Hi @aekorps,

please see also this post from a couple of days ago:

Just for your information that a similar (not same) topic is here already.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.514)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.514)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.518)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

8 hours ago, aekorps said:

Thanks @dominik, but I don't need to "see" the combs, I just want to be able to have "rounder"/smoother curves like the above diagram shows.

I understand. Well, there is already a corner tool with variations of corners. This is perhaps the place where the squircle corners can find their future home in ADe :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.514)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.514)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.518)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Yes, it's been in Sketch for a while already:

This is similar to Apple surface finishing for real products. It might seem like a small thing, but visually it makes a difference.

smooth_corners_Sketch.gif

I don't see any necessity to make this the default mode. In my opinion the "straight" geometric way – that is seeing rounded corners of a rectangle as regular quarter circles – is the purest way of looking at rounded corners. It might be a welcome option, though, to have the other way ("Apple rounded corners") as an alternative of choice.

@Lorox It might not seem like a big deal, but once you see how much better rounded corners anti-alias with the "Smart" rounding, even at small pixel sizes, it's impossible (for me at least) to un-see it. It just looks way better and smoother.

In addition to that, creating app icons for iPhone/iPad software, etc REQUIRES this type of rounding to match the radius of the app icon itself should you want to use any outlines, etc around the icon.

On 11/18/2018 at 7:01 AM, Lorox said:

I don't see any necessity to make this the default mode. In my opinion the "straight" geometric way – that is seeing rounded corners of a rectangle as regular quarter circles – is the purest way of looking at rounded corners. It might be a welcome option, though, to have the other way ("Apple rounded corners") as an alternative of choice.

I agree that it would be nice to have both options available; I personally don't care which one is the default.

17 hours ago, aekorps said:

If this could work with shapes that are NOT procedural/parametric default shapes, that would make it much more useful.

How would it be any different from what could be achieved by adjusting the control handles and the positions of the individual nodes that make up the shape?

On 12/4/2019 at 9:56 AM, fde101 said:

How would it be any different from what could be achieved by adjusting the control handles and the positions of the individual nodes that make up the shape?

It would be smoother around angles. Same as it would be around a square or any other shape.

3 minutes ago, aekorps said:

It would be smoother around angles. Same as it would be around a square or any other shape.

You can do that already by adjusting the control handles on the curve.

5 minutes ago, fde101 said:

You can do that already by adjusting the control handles on the curve.

Unless it's using Continuous Curvature rounding, it wouldn't be as smooth as that method.