You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Getting a PShop Plugin to work?

What is the best way to get a Photoshop plugin to actually work?  I've had one that I have used quite frequently over the years in Photoshop, but now that I'm using Affinity Photo, I'm finding this specific plugin doesn't seem to want to do anything.  The .8bf file is in the correct folder, but still it doesn't show up under the Filter menu option.  Is there something else that is needed to be done to get it to work?

It is the Akvis Decorator plugin in case you're curious...

http://akvis.com/en/decorator/index.php

14 minutes ago, Wizaerd said:

What is the best way to get a Photoshop plugin to actually work?  I've had one that I have used quite frequently over the years in Photoshop, but now that I'm using Affinity Photo, I'm finding this specific plugin doesn't seem to want to do anything.  The .8bf file is in the correct folder, but still it doesn't show up under the Filter menu option.  Is there something else that is needed to be done to get it to work?

It is the Akvis Decorator plugin in case you're curious...

http://akvis.com/en/decorator/index.php

Hello @Wizaerd,

there is a list of plugins that are currently supported (see on this page) and the decorator plugin is not listed there. This can be the reason why it is not working.

Also, did you check the 'Allow unknown plugins to be used' option in the Settings > Photoshop Plugins page?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Yes, I did check that option.  I see in the list that there are Akvis plugins listed, but you're right, the Decorator plugin isn't listed.  I wonder, if plugins follow a specific interface and implementation, why some work, and others don't.  To work as a plugin, the code has to conform to certain requirements.  So why would Affinity Photo, which recognizes and uses those interfaces and implementations, only recognize some of them?

Good question, probably there are only few things of the PS Plugin interface supported at all (like only some filter related functions and transfer interoperation connections) and the majority of the PS Plugin interface isn't actually adapted and bridged over.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

19 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Wizaerd,

Currently Affinity Photo only supports basic image filters. We don't support other plugins types nor any type of plugin that requires/rely on automation or some Photoshop SDK specific features/functionality. Are you Affinity Photo for Windows or Mac?

Windows

• Staff

Hi Wizaerd,

I've tested Akvis Decorator with Affinity Photo 1.6.2.97 and with the latest Affinity Photo Beta (v1.6.3.101) on Windows. It works on both (but only with 8bit images).

How did you set up Photoshop Plugins Preferences in Affinity Photo? Did you set the path in the Plugin Search Folders section to C:\Program Files (x86)\AKVIS ?

If not please do so and restart Affinity Photo.

akvis_decorator.png.22a19d1eda5d94bf02cfe143f7ab5728.png

I just realized there's also a 64bit plugin.  Once I dropped that into the default folder, it showed up in the menu.  Still can't seem to actually use it, but it's there.

I have an image, 8bit RGB and I make a selection, and go to the menu but it won't let me actually choose decorator.

AffinityPlugin_4.png

AffinityPlugin_3.png

Ahhh... Not only an Image, but it also has to be rasterized apparently.  I added an 8bit RGB image, amde a selection, and still nothing.  So an "Image" layer is not quite the same thing as a "Pixel" layer, because to get it to work, I had to right click my image and choose Rasterize before it would work.  But it did work.  Thanks for your help.

Just one more quick question, what is the difference between an image that's loaded in a layer versus an Pixel layer?

• Staff

Image layers a "special" layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool, the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be converted to a Pixel layer type first. To do it right-click the Image layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise as you already discovered. Pixel layers are what you were expecting, that is, layers where you can perform all type of pixel based editing.