Sign in to follow this  
bigmorelewis

Layer Effects not working correctly.

Hi all,

I am very new to Affinity Designer and am currently viewing this tutorial: 

At 1:17 they create an eclipse then apply the Gaussian blur to 100%. It reduces the image down to literally that.. a blur.

However, when I follow the exact same steps this is what I receive: SEE ATTACHED.

I am doing the exact same steps that they take. 

Any help?!

GaussianBlur.PNG

Hi bigmorelewis,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That depends on the scale of your circle. The blur slider goes up to 100px - on a small circle it can blur the circle totally (almost making it disappear), on a large one the same value may be barely noticeable leaving almost the circle intact. What you have to do is enter manually a higher value in the Gaussian Blur FX input field (you can use larger values, above 100px) to achieve a similar result visually as what you see on the video.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Hi bigmorelewis,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That depends on the scale of your circle. The blur slider goes up to 100px - on a small circle it can blur the circle totally (almost making it disappear), on a large one the same value may be barely noticeable leaving almost the circle intact. What you have to do is enter manually a higher value in the Gaussian Blur FX input field (you can use larger values, above 100px) to achieve a similar result visually as what you see on the video.

Hi MEB,

You are a life saver! Thank you so much for explaining and offering that solution.

I naively assumed that as the slider was all the way to the right at 100px, I thought that was the maximum it could be changed! 

Excellent news and thanks once again :-)