You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In a large AD doc it appears that I have reached the limit of objects (ellipses) or Art Texts that can be edited under one top layer. I may be wrong, but I ran into the problem of not being able to select an object or a text to edit in such a "heavy" object laden layer. At first I thought it might be a memory problem so I closed AD and brought up the doc again, but the problem persisted.

As soon as I moved this sub-layer from its position under a top layer (together with other sub-layers with their objects) and made this sub-layer a top layer itself, the objects in this top layer could be selected and edited. This makes me think that there might be a limit to objects under a top layer.

If there is a limit, could you suggest the limit of objects under a top layer? Thanks.

I believe that I've found the problem. My layer and its sublayers are unlocked, but it appears that I must select the actual object within the in order to edit it. In other words, clicking the object on screen (with all relevant layers and objects unlocked) does not allow me to select it. I must click on the object within the open layer.

I have never experienced this before so I may have unknowingly click something that make this so. I have looked in Preferences but find nothing so far. Is there any place I can go to change this option (if it exists) so that I can select the object from the screen rather than only from within a layer? 

PS: 

There is also the problem that I cannot move an object or a layer to a new position with the layer palette. BTW, I am working on a new iMac with High Sierra. I wonder if that has anything to do with these problems.

PPS: Just moved the doc over to my older MacPro (OS Sierra) and it works fine there. Are there issues with the iMac, Apple's new file system or High Sierra or a combo of all of this? 

Finally (!), brought the doc over from my MacPro back onto my new iMac, and here are the results. Sorry to be so wordy, but something is going on that you might want to know about.

1. Back on my iMac (from my MacPro)I now can move objects and folders.

2. The onscreen selecting/editing remains a problem. I must select the layer before I can select an object in that layer (as above). If I go to an object in a different layer, I cannot select it onscreen but must first select the layer with the object (or an object within that layer that take on to that layer) and only then can I select an object in that layer to edit.

3. It thus looks like there is something about the iMac, Apple's new file system or High Sierra or a combo of all of these that is causing this. 

Thanks for any reaction you might have on this. At least I now know that the AD doc is working perfectly on OS Sierra on my MacPro and is not corrupted.

Edited by Jim Monson
Update with PS and PPS and "Finally"