You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple Selections using Pen Tool

1 hour ago, Brian_G said:

I cannot group the shapes, since each one is filled with a different colour and density, although the Blend Mode is the same.

Putting shapes into a Group layer does not prevent you from filling each one with a different color or opacity (if that is what you mean by density). I suggested that just to make it easier to put shapes that would all get the same color into layers grouped by that criterion, & then apply the same fill color to all of them in one step.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Putting shapes into a Group layer does not prevent you from filling each one with a different color or opacity (if that is what you mean by density). I suggested that just to make it easier to put shapes that would all get the same color into layers grouped by that criterion, & then apply the same fill color to all of them in one step.

Thanks very much.
Yes - Opacity, I couldn't think of the correct term!

I didn't have a problem with individually colouring and setting Opacity to each shape as I drew them.
I then grouped them and applied the Blending mode I wanted, and if necessary adjusted the Opacity individually

As I said, I need more practice at all of this, but I have achieved the result I wanted.
I suspect, as with Photoshop, there is more than one way to create the desired result.

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

Hi @Ceemfon,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Where are you having troubler specifically? To create a pixel selection from multiple paths with the Pen Tool, draw each one individually as usual, then use the boolean operations (menu Commands (the ellipsis icon) > Geometry) to add or subtract as needed until you end up with a single vector path, finally convert it to a selection tapping the To Selection button in the context toolbar on bottom (Pen Tool).