You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all, i'm a photo editing newbie (i just learn as much as need to accomplish the task I want lol)

I have a photo that I'd like to use for my youtube channel banner, but youtube auto crops the edges quite severely, and the photo subjects take up a lot of the area of the photo, so they get cropped right out.  I was wondering if it would be possible to copy and paste the edges to make the photo larger, basically adding more area around the subjects on all sides.  It might not work at all and I'll definitely have to to do some massaging and editing.  

How would I go about this?  I can select and copy/paste a region, but I can't figure out how to increase the size of the photo to drag the copied areas outside of the original photo.  I've linked to the photo for reference.  https://app.box.com/s/36yd20jo992dul2167q9z6jdmq8c863s

Is this a losing endeavor?  Even so, how would I try it?

Thanks!

Geoff

Well, it would need a bit of work.

Make the canvas bigger by going Document > Resize Canvas make sure the alignment is set to centre so you get canvas all around.

centre.png.b21b05a732daabb081cf1ce5d7936da8.png

Centre align

On this, I used the Clone Brush on the top, and a selection marquee on the right hand edge and then Inpaint.

You will have to use a mixture of the two.

With the Marquee, only get a very small sliver of the wall and go Edit > Inpaint

wall.jpg.c2a5dfc2359626329599036ae0ff9fce.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Another way is a Crop tool.
Crop tool can work not only inside the image, but also out.

crop.png

In this case, you need to make sure that the pixels snap is enabled (Force pixel alignment).

snap.png