You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

This was a part of another question that I had that seem to get a bit lost in the details of the second section of my question so I thought I'd reposted the separate thread here in the hope of getting some help.

I am a photographer and so I am not really likely to use slices in the sense of slicing up an image since I don't really do much web design work but what I would like to do is that output one image in a range of sizes and/or formats to subfolders. I can set this up in the Slices panel as you can see from the first of my attached screenshots. Having set this up I would love to save this is a batch export setup so that the next photograph I open I can export to 3 locations (in this example) as a full-size JPEG, a JPEG is 1000 pixels across and a PSD. But when I hit the drop down as shown in the second screenshot the options are greyed out that would allow me to do this clearly I'm doing something wrong. Actually, I just see that if I draw a slice of a particular size within an image I am then able to create an export preset stop does that mean that it's simply impossible to do what I'm hoping?

Thanks,

Phil

ScreenHunter 114.png

ScreenHunter 115.png

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

It seems impossible to me. It  looks like the "Create export setup preset..." option is inactive (grayed out) whenever you have more than one slice to be exported, or a slice with more than one format.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It seems impossible to me. It  looks like the "Create export setup preset..." option is inactive (grayed out) whenever you have more than one slice to be exported, or a slice with more than one format.

You can have more than one format, but only one path/builder group, or whatever you want to call everything selected/highlighted as below:

5a89fb69f3f8b_exportpreset.png.899be8b8984f0dcf98c839bfac87390b.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

That option is grayed out on Windows

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

You can have more than one format, but only one path/builder group, or whatever you want to call everything selected/highlighted as below:

Unfortunately, that option is grayed out (unavailable) on Windows whenever you have specified more than one format, or more than one slice. As it seems to work on Mac, perhaps that's a Windows bug?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I am not sure about Windows, but on Macs you have to have everything highlighted exactly as in my screenshot or the create option will not be available. So for example, click on the thumbnail of the slice (which is what I did) or maybe the small document icon to its left. Also, I think there can be only one slice in the panel when you do this, but I am not sure about that.

It's tricky.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

No not really, had to toggle the checkbox on/off once to get the menu updated (make an actualisation at all) on OSX, see below screenshot.

menuupdate.jpg.a809707633ba284c33bf408b198f9881.jpg

Maybe it behaves on Windows too this way and shows that menu entry always disabled until you toggle the above checkbox off/on again and revisit the menu (?). - So yes it has to do with activated selections.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

No not really, had to toggle the checkbox on/off once to get the menu updated (make an actualisation at all) on OSX, see below screenshot.

I have not (yet) had to do that -- it works for me if the checkbox is initially enabled, as it is by default when I switch to the Export Persona. IOW, if the box is checked, it works without my having to toggle anything.

But as I said, for me it has to be highlighted exactly as in the screenshots, with everything selected.

Affinity Photo 

Yes the whole slice entry (rect area) has to be highlighted otherwise the menu entry won't be enabled. - The way only one subentry is highlighted in Phils above first posting top image doesn't work, the whole "You Flexi Thing 4 Cover" has to be clicked and highlighted so that all including subentries are highlighted too together there with that one. - In my case that checkbox toggle altering seems to had the effect to changed the highlighting for the whole here, maybe I didn't hit and meet it right one time correctly.

clickarea.jpg.fabc481c1d0c474b94693e376ac2858b.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Interesting. Thanks. That detail of highlighting/selecting is not something I was able to figure out on my own.

For me, the key is selecting the outer "layer" (for want of a better term). The actual output formats are not selected, and if you do try to select them then the outer layer becomes deselected, and the option to create the output preset is no longer available.

2018-02-18.png.32805560bb6b599e6f97f736648b7f1f.png

But this seems to resolve Phil's issue, and makes the export setup usable for multiple files.

-- Walt
PC:

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That detail of highlighting/selecting is not something I was able to figure out on my own.

If it makes you feel any better about it, it took me a looooong time to figure that out ... & I have had to do that twice because the first time was so long ago that I did not remember what the trick was that made it work. O.o

Affinity Photo