You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer sketching with Surface Pro 2017 Pen

I am running Affinity Designer on a Surface Pro (2017).  The pen on this device supports pressure and tilt, and Windows 10 comes with a built in sketch application that allows the use of a pencil brush where drawing vertically on the surface produces solid lines and tilting the pen down produces grainy strokes that simulate shading with a real pencil.

I am wondering if Affinity Designer supports sketching in this manner.  I'd love to be able to sketch on a layer, then switch to another layer and continue sketching.

I've found evidence that v1.6 supports the Surface Pen, but no specifics about if tilt is included.

I've also found a tutorial that talks about tilt on a Waicom pen, though I'm not sure if this is a compromise or the way that Affinity Designer is meant to support the feature I'm after.

Can anyone confirm if Affinity Designer supports sketching like this with the latest Surface Pro and pen, and perhaps point me to a tutorial if there is one?

• Staff

Hi Zodman and Welcome to the Forums,

We do support tilt on the Surface Pro (2017) you might need to edit some of the brush settings to get a shading effect, but tilt is supported :) 

From what i know, we don't have a seperate tutorial of Affinity on the Surface Pro but i'd suggest downloading the 10 day trial from here:

https://affinity.serif.com/signup/trial/designer/

So I've been doing some fiddling and come up with a brush that seems workable.  The tutorials I found weren't very helpful (apart from the one I mentioned initially), but the best way was to fiddle with all the settings and see their effect.

I'm dropping the brush I've come up with here in case it helps others.  I'm pretty happy with the effects I can produce with the pen and this brush.

Carl.afbrushes

5a90da9d97fdd_Roughsketch.thumb.png.e8449d81dfeec74ea52bbc4c041a8ffc.png