You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I opened an existing DNG and noticed that Affinity Photo changed colors, ... on itself.

On 5:45 of the following video it's the same behaviour.  How can I supress this? - The original Image is much more darker than Image you can see then opened in Affility.

On the attached Picture you can see the difference. when I open the same DNG-file with Affility(top left), LR(button left) and Irfanview(right).

When I then export the DNG in Irfanview to a JPEG and open this JPEG in Affinity  everthing is fine.

I also noticed another differenc between opening the dng and opening the jpeg.

After opening the dng the develop-button on the top left is activated. Doen't that mean there was a change (you can see this on the attached picure). After opening the jpeg that button is not to see.

vergleich.JPG

There is no definitive visualisation of a raw (or dng) file. That is why it is called a raw file. Different photo-editors make their own 'best guess' at what you might like. You then tweak the image to your own liking.

The reason why the develop button is active is that you are in the develop persona. As soon as you click it, you move to another persona, so that button is not relevant, and not active. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On ‎18‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 0:52 PM, John Rostron said:

There is no definitive visualisation of a raw (or dng) file. That is why it is called a raw file. Different photo-editors make their own 'best guess' at what you might like. You then tweak the image to your own liking.

Probably you're right. But I compared four programs and noticed that in Affinity the image is more pale than in the other three programs. And that's a pity.

You have to look if the other RAW converters may do initially/as default possibly apply some auto contrast and sharpening on the DNG files when opening these and then compare with what settings Affinity Photo's RAW engine does initially with those files.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2