You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides: deleting and using on multiple artboards

p10n

1.) In Designer, I often use guides to align elements in logos I design. But in alomost every case, I only need them once, and then want to get rid of them to not disturb me further. Why is deleting guides so complicated? Why can't I just hit the delete key to remove it? (Rule: If nothing it selected, and the most recent mouse click was on a guide, remove that guide). I think Inkscape does it somehow like that. Or remove a guide by dragging it back to the ruler. Maybe less dangerous then the delete key, and still intuitive. :-)

When working with a big file (wich several artboards), I suddenly noticed that horizontal guides vanish as soon as I touch them a second time. I found this extremely useful. but it does not apply for vertical guies, and it does not work in other files. So it looks like this "feature" is a bug??

2.) Why aren't guides global to all artboards? This would be very useful for some applications, like putting elements on the same position on multiple pages of a ducument.

17 hours ago, p10n said:

Why is deleting guides so complicated?

Hello @p10n,

are you aware that there is a 'Remove all guides' button in the guides manager? You find it under 'View > Guides Manager...' at the bottom of that window.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

9 hours ago, p10n said:

Hi dominik,

thanks, yes the button is ok. Still, it takes time to open and close that dialog each time. I would think it is much faster if I can remove them without opening any dialog.

Phil

Sure the dialog is not the quickest way but very effective if you need to delete a large number of guides.

BTW, I tried dragging a guide to the ruler and this way the guide was deleted. You mention this is not possible? Perhaps you can try again?

I admit I myself wished it was possible to delete guides with the Delete key. I think your request is not wrong at all :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

I think sometimes it looks like they vanish, but in fact they are just not displayed because guides dont show outside the drawing (or current artboard).

To my understanding, depending on your zoom level / window, it might look like the guides vanish if you drag them back into the ruler, but in fact they just vanish because they happen to be outside your paper.

I personally would prefer guides to show outside the current paper/artboard, so to show on all artboards, but I understand that this will widely depend on one's application.

59 minutes ago, p10n said:

To my understanding, depending on your zoom level / window, it might look like the guides vanish if you drag them back into the ruler, but in fact they just vanish because they happen to be outside your paper.

I tried this just now with an empty drawing of A4 size. I dragged in one guide and checked in the guides manager. Of course the one guide was listed there.

Then I closed the guides manager and dragged the guide off the page and it vanished.

I checked again in the guides manager and the guide was gone there, too.

Hmmm...

d.

1 hour ago, p10n said:

You are right.... weird... Ahhhh now i got it:

The guides disappear when I drag them out of the page (or artboard)! The ruler does not seem to matter. :-)

Good to see that it is working with you as well :)

I assume we will see some improvements in the 'guides department' in the future.

d.