You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mid range scanner for use with Affinity.

I'm thinking about replacing my old HP AIO with a standalone scanner. Is there anything I should be aware of apart from the fact that twain drivers aren't supported? I'd like to cut out having to scan to another app first.  Any recommendations/observations?

Take a look at the product offers (flatbed scanners for paper/photos/slides etc.) from the usual scanner manufacturers (Canon, Epson ...) here and look also before buying how capable their scanner driver software is dependent on your individual needs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I've never had a problem using my HP until this evening when I decided to try scanning into Affinity. At first I thought I was going round the twist but then found out that twain drivers are not supported. I don't want to blunder into spending money only to find out that there are other restrictions. Is it the case that any popular scanner will work? I was thinking about the EPSON V370 Perfection as a possibility.

" scanner manufacturers (Canon, Epson ...) here " - is that here as in the forum somewhere?

36 minutes ago, longedge said:

I've never had a problem using my HP until this evening when I decided to try scanning into Affinity...

You want to scan from inside of Affinity? - I thought you were generally looking after some other scanner independently of Affinity.

Nah Affinity AFAIK doesn't support direct scanner twain access etc. so you have to scan as usual with the supplied scanning software and save via that scanning software into some supported format you then can import and reuse. - So if it just for that you won't need another scanner here and can try to reuse your HP one.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

That highly depends on OS, scanner, connection type (wireless vs USB) etc. See or look over the majority of postings related to that theme here ...

On window, if you save your scanned image as (say) tiff, and if Affinity is the default program for tiffs, then following the save, it will open automatically in Affinity. Not much different from  scanning from within Affinity!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 month later...

I have just dug my old faithful Epson Perfection 3170 Photo scanner out for my brother to use with Windows 10. The Epson support site does indeed offer a driver and the software for Windows 10 and even the Win10 "Scan" software will produce a file.  I can live with the extra step instead of the old Twain support, even if it was nice to scan directly from the graphics software..

Edited by NilsFinken
spelling and clarification
Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

Since I last posted I bought a replacement Epson scanner and am now about half way through my project having scanned just under 1400 photos. I've been unable to break my old habits though and have used PaintShoPro to do it ;)