You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Isometric Dub Siren

Ros

Yeah, it's a pretty obscure item. It's called a dub siren, because it's used predominantly in reggae and dub music. It's a cheap synthesizer, similar to those used in old toy guns to generate different type of laser-like noises.

I don't have the DS-01 anymore (hence the isometric homage, I was saying good bye to it lol) because I got the new one, but is similar enough. So here's a short demo.

Cheers!

dub siren demo.MP4.00.mp4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ros,

Nice job there, how did you do the red tint, was it done with curves or a transparent layer?

I love vintage synths, the more knobs, sliders and patch leads the better (I'm looking at you ARP 2600), there's a truly nerdy site that deals with the hardware and emulators. https://www.arturia.com/products

Even though I did Music Tech in the 90's, I don't recognise the box itself, but the sounds are very familiar.

There's an app for that...http://www.dubsiren.com/index.html

Meanwhile over on Youtube...

Edited by peter
Typos

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

22 hours ago, peter said:

Nice job there, how did you do the red tint, was it done with curves or a transparent layer?

Hi @peter, it's a blurred pixel layer, as you can see here:

5a95dbc95770c_ScreenShot2018-02-27at23_27_15.thumb.png.0ce7a27f5f0a5fdafc24e032a12b386a.png

22 hours ago, peter said:

I don't recognise the box itself, but the sounds are very familiar.

Dub sirens have always been handmade by indie manufacturers, so there are tons of different designs since the '70s. Even Benidub's products are handcrafted one by one, but with an unprecedented attention to design, materials and construction.

Most dub sirens used to look like this:

siren-njd-dlx2_MED.jpg.7b0273de3c5f72c2da1681da2635eac3.jpg

The closest thing on the regular market would be Korg's Monotron / Monotribe:

IMG_20180227_235110_864.thumb.jpg.150fb196295865a1d0ae699d7f65d2ea.jpg

• 2 months later...