dave2017

Selections, filters and adjustments

Maybe I've got this wrong, but it seems to me that some filters, such as Unsharp Mask in Affinity Photo are not affected by spatial selections.

If I mark out a selected area on an image, then apply Unsharp Mask and move the Before/After display over the image, it's not only the area bounded by the selection which shows up as having changed. Is this a bug or a feature?

Clearly sometimes changes are restricted to selected areas - such as lightening, exposure etc., but it seems to be a matter of trial and error to find which ones are constrained by spatial selections.

Sometimes in an image there is one feature which cries out to be sharpened, or vice-versa to be blurred. If the selections don't work as expected this can be confusing.

For this post I'm restricting my concerns to spatial constraints, though I also have some queries (to follow maybe) regarding colour tonal range constraints.

i can't do this right now as I don't have access to the machine on which I noticed the issues. That is/was an iMac 21.5 inch running El Capitan. My MBP Retina laptop i7 is now running High Sierra, but is currently awaiting a replacement battery. I may have access to other similar machines. I will try to show these issues when I get the MBP back from the repair shop..