You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vertical/Upright text on curved path?

Is there a way (directly or as a not-horribly-time-comsuming-warp-each-single-letter work around) to keep text on a curved path upright? Or is there a better tool than "text on a path"?

What I want to do is create an undulating path and have text follow it, but I want all the letters to remain upright/vertical. A perfect example is the "Daughters of the American Revolution" in the image I've attached.

I have both Designer and Photo, so I can use either/both to solve this problem.

I've searched the forums and found a couple old posts that suggest a) there isn't or b) such a feature might be coming at some later date.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Darin

DoARText.jpg

Try some Equations to see if you can get the effect you want

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

You could try this way, It doesn't involve magic unfortunately but its about as easy a way as I can think of...

vertical Text on a path.mp4

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

15 hours ago, firstdefence said:

You could try this way, It doesn't involve magic unfortunately but its about as easy a way as I can think of...

I wondered if it would be possible to avoid your convert to curves step so the text would remain editable. I found a way to do that. However, it is utterly & completely impractical, although sort of fun to play with if you are as simple minded & easily amused as I am. :P

Simply (he said with tongue firmly in cheek) create a stair-stepped path, convert it to a text path, type your text on it, & adjust the nodes of the path & text tracking as needed, something like this:

5a898d745acf9_Simpleminded.png.b6c3e9df2e92c2ab6cc0d43203615220.png

As anything is adjusted, the letters tend to tilt & overlap, making it an exercise in futility for this application, but that might be perfect for creating crazy, jumbled looking text for some other project ... maybe.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R Hence forth this shall be know as the R C-R path.

falling text.mp4

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks all for the suggestions. I was out of town for a couple days, so I've been slow to reply.

@carl123 I haven't played around much yet with equations. This could be a good learning opportunity (or a chance to bang my head on a wall). Do you have any suggestions/guidance?

@firstdefence Thanks for the videos. The first one is the way I imagined making this work. I was hoping for a quicker solution, but for this case it's not too bad.

I'll keep you posted.

Best,

Darin

@dhayton Hi I did the falling text vid for a laugh not to show a way to actually do it lol! and rib R C-R ;) I just thought it was quite a cool way of animating the text, a bit abstract I know lol!

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Hi I did the falling text vid for a laugh not to show a way to actually do it lol! and rib R C-R ;)

The ribbing failed. I felt honored to have a path named after me. :1_grinning:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7