You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

I have been trying to add an outline on a selection but nothing appears.

I make a square selection, then create a new pixel layer, then I’m adding an outline effect with the settings as shown on the screenshot below and nothing appears. I have tried anything, even reinstalling the app in case there was something wrong with it. 

The weird thing is that I had done it in the past and it had worked fine but it’s been more than a month now that I can understand what is wrong.

On the screenshot you can see the settings and please let me know if I’m doing something wrong. (Ipad pro 12.9)

Thanks!

388636FF-4E1E-436A-BF19-267075343127.thumb.png.32f30d517c3edbbff8f4dc32bc5ee83b.png

You can't add a layer effect  like an outline to a pixel selection because it is not a layer.

I don't know about the iPad (you would be best to post on the  iPad forum really) but on a desktop you would turn the selection into a layer by pressing Cmd + J. Then you can add an outline.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

In the Pixel Persona, go to the Commands menu (accessed via the icon with three dots) and choose ‘Duplicate’ to create a new layer containing a copy of the selected pixels.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 hours ago, Alfred said:

In the Pixel Persona, go to the Commands menu (accessed via the icon with three dots) and choose ‘Duplicate’ to create a new layer containing a copy of the selected pixels.

Thank you! That worked for that case, but what I actually want is just to add a border on the whole image in a new layer which will include only the border, not part of the background or something else, so what I thought to do is to select all the canvas and then add an outline effect with inside alignment, but just to have only that border/outline on a new layer. Is there a way to do this?

Thank for your help!

If you just want a solid border all around the edge of the canvas, I think the simplest way is to use the Rectangle Tool to create a rectangle with a stroke but no fill. When you switch to the Pen Tool while the rectangle is selected, you’ll see a Width control which allows you to set the width of the border.

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

If you just want a solid border all around the edge of the canvas, I think the simplest way is to use the Rectangle Tool to create a rectangle with a stroke but no fill. When you switch to the Pen Tool while the rectangle is selected, you’ll see a Width control which allows you to set the width of the border.

Oh ok, but how can i make the rectangle exactly the size of the canvas? So i will be sure the stroke will be exactly on the edges of the canvas. Also, is there a way to edit that stroke? I mean I can edit the width on the pen tool as you mentioned but I can’t find a way to change the color of the stroke and the alignment to be inside.

(The reason I am so picky on the border is because I create print files which sometimes have light color backgrounds or even total white so I want to put a very thin border (2 pixels) on the edges as a guide for the person who will cut the canvas after printing. So he will know exactly where to cut it because it will be white background on white material.)

Sorry for too many newbie questions but I’ m obviously a newbie in AP and trying to see if I can use the ipad version for some things I need at work :) 

Thanks!

You can use the controls in the Transform Studio to set precise dimensions and position for an object/layer, and you can set the colours via the Colour Studio. I'm not sure if it's currently possible to set stroke alignment in any version of Affinity Photo.

APh_iPad_Transform.png

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Angelok said:

Oh ok, but how can i make the rectangle exactly the size of the canvas? So i will be sure the stroke will be exactly on the edges of the canvas. Also, is there a way to edit that stroke?

If you have snapping enabled, then as you draw the rectangle it will snap to the edges of the canvas. Or you can easily adjust the sides of the rectangle larger or smaller if you miss by a bit, and there is feedback showing you when you're exactly there.

The rectangle tool's options let you specify the kind of stroke, along with its color, width, alignment (center, inside, outside), and some other options:

5a88e3fc4c0fc_2018-02-17(4).png.92caf0b24a3c9d4aebec22c5024aacf0.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The rectangle tool's options let you specify the kind of stroke, along with its color, width, alignment (center, inside, outside), and some other options:

The iPad version of Affinity Photo currently lacks a stroke alignment control. :(

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks, Alfred. I missed the reference to iPad (and this question/topic is in the wrong forum, I think).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1