You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey, 

I used Affinity Photo for iPad with a regular Jot Pro (non-bluetooth) stylus and felt it served pretty much any need I could come up with, so I never bought an Apple Pencil. 

Since then, I received an Apple Pencil as a gift and can definitely see the advance over a non-bluetooth stylus for painting on the iPad. 

But, what are some of the coolest things you can do in Photo with an Apple Pencil that you absolutely can't do with a regular non-bluetooth stylus? 

Pressure/tilt sensitive brushes? I assume Adonis style pencils simply emulate a finger touch on screen and therefore cannot respond to pressure or tilt settings. Don't have one so can't be sure.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Apple Pencil is a technology edge (Wacom Pro Pen 2 very close to it, better in some things, worse in others) in what is drawing devices. Is not only pressure. Is accuracy, refresh rate, grid resolution of the iPad Pro fully used in its advantages, parallax (no visible, while still somewhat noticeable in Wacom's, for build reasons), palm rejection, OUTSTANDING tilt, no visible lag ( less than wacom cintiq's) ...overall, natural feel. There's a lot of differences between an Apple Pencil and anything else that you can use in an iPad. Probably users just giving it the use of making signatures, browsing or basic vector design wont really notice, though. One of the regular standard styluses wont use -at least to my knowledge- the higher precision of the ipad PRO internal grid. Fine details and line work therefor : much better if done with an Apple Pencil.

Edit: Still, I'd recommend better a GOOD new Intuos Pro (or an Artisul / XP-Pen / Huion cintiq alternative. If you'r a millionaire, a cintiq 32" is my recommendation, no doubt in that), any day, over a tiny 12.9 iPad pro, for serious illustration and graphic work. Coupled with even just a decent laptop/desktop (look in my sig, this works pretty well, a low end first gen). iPad Pro + Pencil combo HUGE ISSUE is still the screen size. Is not only to build large illustrations scenes more comfortably: Accuracy in line work is improved a lot in larger formats. There are other advantages of a ful Mac OSX operative System and a Windows over iOS and in the software available for these.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Looks like my question was a bit unclear. I was asking about any cool and interesting ways Affinity Photo has been optimized for the Apple Pencil specifically. Seems there were demos showing the lighting fx feature reacting to the tilt of the Apple Pencil (thought I haven't managed to get it to do that myself)

I'm aware of the Apple Pencil's general function and some pressure sensitive stuff in Photo, but I was looking for anything unique, cool, tricks, etc. that Affinity has built into Photo to specifically take advantage of the Apple Pencil in particular. 

As I mentioned, I was completely content with my Adonit Jot Pro (non-bluetooth) stylus for fine detail editing, but curious what other groovy stuff I can try now that I also have an Apple Pencil.