Chris29

CPU overload, high memory usage

Hi, Affinity photo is VERY slow on my old iMac (21.5, mid-2010, 3,6 GHz Intel Core i5, 12 Go).It takes ages to open, export, etc. I checked with activity monitor and it uses an incredible amount of memory (see attached file). I can hardly use it.

Affinity 2.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Chris29 said:

This is not a RAM  problem, the app should not use so much CPU.

Your screenshot shows the high CPU usage, but you confused the issue rather a lot by choosing ‘Memory usage’ as the topic title and saying “it uses an incredible amount of memory” in your original post. ;)

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Ok, thanks for correcting me, but still, there’s a CPU problem.

I don’t know if I can edit the title of the subject.

I had two screenshots, one for memory, one for CPU. Memory usage was b..... high!

I wasn’t correcting you so much as explaining why Paul posted as he did. As for editing the thread title, you can do that via the 'Edit' link at the bottom of your original post: if you don’t have immediate access to the input box for the title, press the 'Use Full Editor' button.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

I just found this on the forum in the "Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.6.7 - Release Candidate 1)" post :

"Unfortunately, metal is still not supported on an iMac, which means that Affinity Photo on an iMac is much slower on some filters than, for example, a Macbook Pro (this bug was also mentioned in the magazine "mac and i" by Heise in the test of an iMac Pro)."

I am having exactly the same problem - from a program that worked very fast I am now experiencing significant delays exporting and when I try to choose an image from a list the small preview pix that allows you to see the image takes much longer to load. The image size data is sometimes missing as well and then reappears after a time.

I have a Macbook Pro operating El Capitan 10.11.6

After being advised to uncheck the Embed Metadata box because the exported images made my iStudio crash when I imported those images, I always uncheck that box.

I have also unchecked Convert Clips to Paths and that seems to work OK.

Images are exported at 100% Quality.

Thank you. I'll try this, but does it have any effect on "speed"and CPU usage? And, could you help me finding those preferences? I'm using the French version and there is no obvious correspondance in the preferences panel. (Yes, I'm only French...)

On 18/02/2018 at 1:35 PM, Chris29 said:

And, could you help me finding those preferences? I'm using the French version and there is no obvious correspondance in the preferences panel.

It isn't under Preferences, it's in the Export dialog:

5a8b267703181_APh_Paramtres-dexportation.png.639efb2f672a11b9768097fb6db801d0.png

Alfred online2long.gif