You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are Macros Affinity Photo's Filter Gallery?

I'm trying to find the equivalent of Photoshop's filter gallery function on Affinity Photo. Let's say I want a frozen ice sculpture look in Affinity Photo. How would I go about doing this without the filter gallery?
Would I use custom macros for this?

Maybe some Perlin Noise in a Pale Blue and white mix, then some diffuse, maybe a splodge of blur and see what you get. I have saved the history with this file so if you look on the history panel you can see what I did. Maybe add a bit of ripple, but less is more in that instance.

Simple Ice effect.afphoto

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

If there isn't any equivalent one click Affinity filter effect available, custom macros are one way you can go in order to automate the needed processing steps and then make them reusable (as far as those steps are then all recordable). - The other alternative would be to use a supported/working PS plugin which already offers to apply the wanted effects.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

17 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Maybe some Perlin Noise in a Pale Blue and white mix, then some diffuse, maybe a splodge of blur and see what you get. I have saved the history with this file so if you look on the history panel you can see what I did. Maybe add a bit of ripple, but less is more in that instance.

Thanks. I'm after a more organic look to apply to someone's hands. I'm trying to replicate a tutorial on Photoshop, but using Affinity Photo. The Photoshop filters used were 'plastic wrap' and 'frosted glass'.
Trying to figure out how to do this the long way, then save it as a macro.

20 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

If there isn't any equivalent one click Affinity filter effect available, custom macros are one way you can go in order to automate the needed processing steps and then make them reusable (as far as those steps are then all recordable). - The other alternative would be to use a supported/working PS plugin which already offers to apply the wanted effects.

I still have an old CS6 license, so easier for me just to load that up, use filter gallery, then finish in Affinity Photo.
I would prefer not to though. Less is more!

15 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I have saved the history with this file so if you look on the history panel you can see what I did. 

Simple Ice effect.afphoto

Nice idea, but for building macros by "reverse engineering" the history is not detailed enough.

To build your own "filter gallery" macros must be editable and some limitation must be fixed.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

@Kiarian Path of least resistance, but Unless you can find a plugin for Affinity Photo (APh) that can simulate the effect you want I'd go with the CS6 option, either way you need to have Photoshop installed to use the plugin so using a plugin is a moot point.  < was just a pack of lies, R C-R found me out and called me on it, please have mercy. :$

link us the tutorial.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

@Kiarian Path of least resistance, but Unless you can find a plugin for Affinity Photo (APh) that can simulate the effect you want I'd go with the CS6 option, either way you need to have Photoshop installed to use the plugin so using a plugin is a moot point.

Are you sure about that? I have several Photoshop plugins installed but not Photoshop.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Are you sure about that? I have several Photoshop plugins installed but not Photoshop.

I had a senior moment, this turned the bulb back on lol! It was morning, I think I was filling up the coffee reserves and eating a slab of Lurpak with a bit of toast spread over it, as well as talking to the lady of the house who was herself talking gibberish so wasn't what one would call focused lol!