You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opentype SVG Fonts support in Affinity apps

• 1 year later...
On 2/16/2018 at 2:14 PM, Leigh said:

We currently have no plans to add this feature but this could change in the future. We already have a few threads in the Feature Request section asking for this to be added.

what is the situation at the moment?

4 hours ago, Leigh said:

Still the same I'm afraid.

What a shame. Isn't is a time to at least start reconsidering?

I mean when talking about SVG color fonts, it's not just those flashy colorful typefaces, but also other types, like those "handwritten" brush typefaces. It's quite nice and there are quite a few fonts available out there.

• Staff
11 minutes ago, Fantomas.CZ said:

What a shame. Isn't is a time to at least start reconsidering?

I mean when talking about SVG color fonts, it's not just those flashy colorful typefaces, but also other types, like those "handwritten" brush typefaces. It's quite nice and there are quite a few fonts available out there.

I can only make sure your feedback is passed on to the relevant team, which I will do :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wouldn't it be a strong sign of the Affinity apps being really competitive if SVG font support – which I'd consider a "hot" feature these days – would  be added as quickly as possible?

This font technology has been on the market for years now and the number of available SVG fonts seems to increase by the day. Plus you see more of them in actual use ever since if you keep your eyes open.
I'd think it's not a good idea to let Adobe still be several steps ahead (in a number of aspects) after the Affinity apps have – luckily and nevertheless – made such a considerable impact with designers all around the world.

I understand, though, that Serif is much smaller company than Adobe and surely must direct their available resources to whatever issues and features which are considered most pressing. That said, reliability and stability of the apps on all platforms might be a premier concern. But surely the apps must still appear up-to-date (better still "cutting edge") and thus appealing to technology conscious users. In this respect apps being years behind the market leader as "hot" features are concerned might be seen as a weak and not really living up to their promises. This might ultimately be reason enough for users to ruefully return to the big A even if they initially have loved Affinity...

• 5 months later...
On 9/26/2020 at 1:56 PM, Lorox said:

Wouldn't it be a strong sign of the Affinity apps being really competitive if SVG font support – which I'd consider a "hot" feature these days – would  be added as quickly as possible?

This font technology has been on the market for years now and the number of available SVG fonts seems to increase by the day. Plus you see more of them in actual use ever since if you keep your eyes open.
I'd think it's not a good idea to let Adobe still be several steps ahead (in a number of aspects) after the Affinity apps have – luckily and nevertheless – made such a considerable impact with designers all around the world.

I understand, though, that Serif is much smaller company than Adobe and surely must direct their available resources to whatever issues and features which are considered most pressing. That said, reliability and stability of the apps on all platforms might be a premier concern. But surely the apps must still appear up-to-date (better still "cutting edge") and thus appealing to technology conscious users. In this respect apps being years behind the market leader as "hot" features are concerned might be seen as a weak and not really living up to their promises. This might ultimately be reason enough for users to ruefully return to the big A even if they initially have loved Affinity...

I totally agree with Lorox that it would be very helpful and a strong competitive thing to be able to support SVG color font if Affinity wants to be able to be a good quality and affordable alternative to Photoshop.

Please, is there any possible  news about this?

I think that this is a very important thing considering that there are hundreds of SVG color fonts for sale available specially for designers 

Thanks very much

Edited by SpaceRay

• 7 months later...

I just wanna cast my vote towards supporting the SVG font format! I just purchased a great font bundle with a lot of textured fonts in SV format, and only just realised that I can't use them in Affinity. Dissapointed, but I love Affinity so please make it possible...

• 4 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 12:39 PM, Milos Micatek said:

I can see the preview of the color font in Affinity Designer when I am choosing font but it displays only as black and white outlines... so is that preview means the Affinity team is working on the implementation? 😉

Snímka obrazovky 2020-03-02 o 21.37.59.jpg

The Mac font picker displays all the kinds of fonts it supports, even in applications which do not support the format.
What you see on the ADesigner page is the monochrome fallback font that CC included in the color SVG font (for apps which do not support SVG).

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I really want this ability to, it's not adopted in a lot of apps. but I have a chart that might help everyone see what is supported. but we really need to have some app on. the market other then adobe product support color SVG fonts. its throws off the market and also halters workflow and creativity. image all the good that could come from this, image all the companies and movements that could happen that use affinity nd not adobe. any action has more power then you think. please add this support!!! 

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 12.00.14 PM.png

• 10 months later...
On 2/27/2023 at 11:01 AM, LOVEFIRE said:

I really want this ability to, it's not adopted in a lot of apps. but I have a chart that might help everyone see what is supported. but we really need to have some app on. the market other then adobe product support color SVG fonts. its throws off the market and also halters workflow and creativity. image all the good that could come from this, image all the companies and movements that could happen that use affinity nd not adobe. any action has more power then you think. please add this support!!! 

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 12.00.14 PM.png

Opentype-SVG also works inside Inkscape.  I too would like Affinity Designer 2 to have the same ability.