You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ok first try with the help of that save panel and then look how the full path name will look like, what you need here for every location. Also note that these export options don't create unavailable directories, thus the path must be correct and an existent one.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

As far as I can tell, at least on Windows all the exported files go into the same output directory. I have not found a way to get a different directory per file.

Found the way; described in my next post.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

During my tryouts on OSX I used relative paths, meaning here different subdirectories which are originating from the one directory choosen in the save panel. It's possible that they don't or can't deal with absolute paths at all. You have to try and see how it reacts then, if given paths are completely different locations, like different drives or different from the root directory originating paths.

If all else fails, just copy them manually over to the needed locations as walt.farrel suggested above.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

As far as I can tell, at least on Windows all the exported files go into the same output directory. I have not found a way to get a different directory per file.

Well, the dialog does refer to “the common output path”, which rather suggests that you can’t choose multiple output paths in one go.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

My testcase was like this:

• .../.../downloads     <--- the directory path selected in the popup save panel
  1. .../.../downloads/in/test/    <--- one test directory
  2. .../.../downloads/out/test/  <--- another test directory

Then saving a slice as two files a PNG and JPG with each path setup as relative path as follows:

1. in/test/[Slice name]       <--- PNG
  2. out/test/[Slice name]     <--- JPG

1 hour ago, Phil_rose said:

I'm sorry, yes, the latter. The two formats I have got down. It's exporting to two locations that I can't work out on my PC.

You can export to multiple locations, but they must all be subdirectories of a common directory as @v_kyr mentioned a couple of posts above this.

To do it, first create your multiple output formats, by clicking on the appropriate + signs on the Slices panel. Then click on the slice/file names to set the additional parameters. I've highlighted the spots to click in red in this image:

2018-02-16.png.8581bd83f94d06f01d38aea44f1898db.png

Then, on the configuration dialog that pops up, simply insert the subdirectory name by hand into the path name by clicking before the blue box labeled "Slice name":

5a878cf876703_2018-02-16(1).png.2cfdbeb805af9d4702a0fe7286027258.png

When you eventually click on the dialog to begin the export, you'll get a Save dialog where you choose the parent folder. In the example I've shown, the .jpg file will be saved in directory dir1 below whatever folder you choose in the Save dialog.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can export to multiple locations, but they must all be subdirectories of a common directory as @v_kyr mentioned a couple of posts above this.

To do it, first create your multiple output formats, by clicking on the appropriate + signs on the Slices panel. Then click on the slice/file names to set the additional parameters. I've highlighted the spots to click in red in this image:

2018-02-16.png.8581bd83f94d06f01d38aea44f1898db.png

Then, on the configuration dialog that pops up, simply insert the subdirectory name by hand into the path name by clicking before the blue box labeled "Slice name":

5a878cf876703_2018-02-16(1).png.2cfdbeb805af9d4702a0fe7286027258.png

When you eventually click on the dialog to begin the export, you'll get a Save dialog where you choose the parent folder. In the example I've shown, the .jpg file will be saved in directory dir1 below whatever folder you choose in the Save dialog.

Thank you so much for this. It's beginning to make sense. 

I do however have some more issues with it. The directory thing makes complete sense but I tried adding 0.5 to the user scale field as you will see in the screen grab and the exported image was still full size. I hoped that it would reduce it by half. Is that not a correct assumption? Secondly (and I'm sure there will be many other questions too!) Is that when I had set up my outputs as per the second screen grab I really hoped I would be up to save their as a new default but the default button is greyed out when I hit the drop down. Why would that be?

Thank you very much for any more help that you can offer.

Phil

PhilRose  0129.jpg

PhilRose  0130.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

I do however have some more issues with it. The directory thing makes complete sense but I tried adding 0.5 to the user scale field as you will see in the screen grab and the exported image was still full size. I hoped that it would reduce it by half. Is that not a correct assumption?

I recall that this is an integer value only field (1, 2, 3, 4, ...) and thus won't use floating point numbers and possibly then round those up/down to full integer values.

Secondly (and I'm sure there will be many other questions too!) Is that when I had set up my outputs as per the second screen grab I really hoped I would be up to save their as a new default but the default button is greyed out when I hit the drop down. Why would that be?

Not sure if you mean that user scale value then as a default here (?), however AFAI can tell the user scale value is just taken from that input field without altering any other default field values.

Two more realizations about exporting to multiple locations (tested on Windows, but should conceptually work on Mac, too):

1. As I mentioned above, you can export to multiple locations, but they must all be subdirectories of a common directory. However, when you perform the actual export, and you get the Save dialog, you can specify the root directory of some drive. All directories on that drive are subdirectories of the root, so you can effectively save into any directories on that drive.
  2. Even better, Windows (and I believe Mac) implements the concept of symlinks. Using a symlink you can create what appears to be a directory (say, dir1) on one drive that is really a pointer to a directory (say dir2) on another drive. Combining these ideas you can, in one export operation, create files in any directories on any drives that you can access.

Example: I have on drive E: a directory named Walt. I also have a drive F: and on F: I have a directory called Fred.

1. In the F:\Fred directory I create a subdirectory ExportF.
  2. In the E:\Walt directory I create a subdirectory ExportE.
  3. In E:\Walt I also create a symlink (technically a hard link, but a soft link might also work) called ExportF: mklink /J  E:\Walt\ExportF  F:\Fred\ExportF
  4. I then export two copies of an image, one (jpg) going to Walt\ExportE\ and the other (tif) going to Walt\ExportF\
  5. On the Save dialog I specify the root of the E: drive. After the export completes, E:\Walt\ExportE contains my .jpg file, and F:\Fred\ExportF contains the .tif file.

-- Walt
PC:

The directory thing makes complete sense but I tried adding 0.5 to the user scale field as you will see in the screen grab and the exported image was still full size.

If you hover your mouse over the User Scale field you will get a field description (tooltip) which says the value you enter is used as an override when forming the pathname or writing descriptive information about the file, but it does not affect the actual size of the exported image.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

...Even better, Windows (and I believe Mac) implements the concept of symlinks...

Unix based systems are the mother of invention for symbolic links, thus it would be a shame if a Unix based Mac OS system wouldn't support these. ;) - In fact every Unix system is full of these and a bunch of software installments do make heavy use of them (for example Xcode and it's command line tools and libraries etc. just to name one here).

However since Phil is on Windows and not that much the Console/shell guy he might want to get an idea about those here and use some gui tool for mklink.

For Win dos shell afiliados the junction tool from Mark Russinovich (Mr. Sysinternals) is a usefull one.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you hover your mouse over the User Scale field you will get a field description (tooltip) which says the value you enter is used as an override when forming the pathname or writing descriptive information about the file, but it does not affect the actual size of the exported image.

Thanks so much. So I guess this is where I should be adding a resize? I am having trouble since I don't know what the words would be to put after (for instance) 1000 for pixel width. Is there a resource for that somewhere,do you know?

PhilRose  0131.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

I recall that this is an integer value only field (1, 2, 3, 4, ...) and thus won't use floating point numbers and possibly then round those up/down to full integer values.

Not sure if you mean that user scale value then as a default here (?), however AFAI can tell the user scale value is just taken from that input field without altering any other default field values.

I actually put in 1/2 and it converted to 0.5. If it only takes an integer that would mean you can only INCREASE the size. Can that be right?

Thanks!

Phil

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

I actually put in 1/2 and it converted to 0.5. If it only takes an integer that would mean you can only INCREASE the size. Can that be right?

The slice panel help doesn't tell much about the input capabilities here...

Export Format Options

You can store multiple formats within every slice's export setup. The following options are available for each format:

• File format—select a file format to be exported from the pop-up menu.
  • Size scaling—select scaling options (e.g., 1x, 2x, etc.) to set for the export format.
  • Additional properties—lets you choose a custom DPI and a path and filename made up of defined tokens or custom user variables.
  • Export—exports the slice using this export format.

...so it's unclear if on the above path filename panel the field accepts something from these expressions here maybe too. - However I think that this "User scale:"  field above is anyway just used for the filename naming purposes, see also the variable descriptions there.

2 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

If you look at the scaling box in the slice panel, you'll see that it starts out at 1x. If you hover over it you get a tooltip that says you can choose a size scaling or an absolute size. Clicking on the pulldown you get some examples of the kinds of entries you can make, as shown in this screenshot:

5a88de8ea4eee_2018-02-17(3).png.cfe393b475d267baacd04f671102003b.png

When I entered 500w I got an exported image that was 500px wide and scaled proportionally for the height. Another obvious example there is 50h (should be 50px high, with width scaled proportionally) but I haven't tried that one..

I tried 750p (my original image is portrait mode, 1920x2560) and I ended up with a document 562px x 750px, so 750px tall.

Just for fun I tried 600w, 600h and got an image that is 600x600px square, and that contains all of the original image but oddly distorted.

So absolute dimensions certainly work, at least if you give width or height but not both :)

-- Walt
PC:

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you look at the scaling box in the slice panel, you'll see that it starts out at 1x. If you hover over it you get a tooltip that says you can choose a size scaling or an absolute size. Clicking on the pulldown you get some examples of the kinds of entries you can make, as shown in this screenshot:

5a88de8ea4eee_2018-02-17(3).png.cfe393b475d267baacd04f671102003b.png

When I entered 500w I got an exported image that was 500px wide and scaled proportionally for the height. Another obvious example there is 50h (should be 50px high, with width scaled proportionally) but I haven't tried that one..

I tried 750p (my original image is portrait mode, 1920x2560) and I ended up with a document 562px x 750px, so 750px tall.

Just for fun I tried 600w, 600h and got an image that is 600x600px square, and that contains all of the original image but oddly distorted.

So absolute dimensions certainly work, at least if you give width or height but not both :)

That's brilliant! Makes 

Total sense! Thanks so much. Not quite sure what the difference between 500h and 500p would be. Surely if you put 500 H it wouldn't matter whether the image was portrait or landscape in orientation? Either way, wouldn't it and about 500 pixels high? Have to do some experimentation.

Now, my second question seems to still be troubling me. If I set up a set of outputs with one of them being a full-size JPEG into a folder called JPEGs and another one being a full-size PSD into a folder called PSDs and so on I would love to be up to save that and the preset to reuse and choose it from a drop-down at a later date but I can't seem to do anything to make the drop down change from being greyed out. I wrong about what this refers to to? It seems that "create export setup preset" or to do just what I'm looking for. Am I wrong?

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Phil

ScreenHunter 113.png

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

• 10 months later...

Hi all
I plead guilty of hijacking this thread. :)
It's been a very valuable resource even though my problems were different than those of @Phil_rose but I was able to figure out what I needed. Truth to be told, the user manual in that regard is not very user friendly (unless you're a programmer, but I'm a designer, so one can't be all things).

I have a further question that might help those stuck in the same mess as I am

- Is there a way to automatically rename a "slice" with - say - a layer name or a group name?

My task at the moment is to export groups combinations. I hide/show different layers all grouped into their group and I would like to export each group separately.

my workflow is 

- hide all groups

- show group 1,

- export the slice in two formats (this is where I figured out how to export in two different subfolders, thanks guys!)

- go to the folders in question and rename each file adding a suffix (the suffix being _name of the group)

- go back to affinity, hide the last group, show the next and export + change name over and over (I have to do that for 50 different groups)

the path would be D:\folder\EPS\slice name_group name (or layer name I might get around that one if only a layer name is possible) for the EPS (now that I know how to separate the files per folders)

and 

D:\folder\PDF\slice name_group name for the PDF

if a group/layer name isn't possible but another automatically inserted suffix is possible (no size changes here) then that would be OK, as the main problem is that all the resulting files have the same names at the end, and the last exported overwrites the previous one (if that make sense)

I have asked a question specific to that in another thread but had no luck and I can feel that nobody understood what I was trying to do. (this is something that I routinely do with Photoshop, even if the workflow is slightly different eg: I can't make a "double export" but the export and renaming is done automatically via an export script - called Export layers to file, so it's easy to run the script each time for each file format)

I accept that it may not be possible, but in all honesty, the help file for the export persona is close to gibberish to me.
As I said in the other thread, it doesn't speak my language... (bizarrely all the rest of the help section make perfect sense from the point of view of a designer)

Sorry for hijacking - again :)

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

Affinity Designer/Affinity Publisher/Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom/Inkscape

Answering to my own question: 
I figured out that I could change the name of the slice directly in the designated space. Granted I have to do that 50 times, but at least it renames automatically both my files (50 times, not 100 times) and I don't have to leave Affinity.

If I ever find a fully automated solution, then I'll post it here!

PS: I'm using Windows 10

sc.png

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

8 minutes ago, 4personnen said:

PS: I'm using Windows 10

To avoid having to remember to include that information when you post, you can put your system specs in your forum signature. To do this, go to your Account Settings page where you’ll find a ‘Signature’ link.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Eℓƒяє∂ said:

To avoid having to remember to include that information when you post, you can put your system specs in your forum signature. To do this, go to your Account Settings page where you’ll find a ‘Signature’ link.

Thanks, will do right now!

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

Thanks @Wosven
I routinely use ant-renamer so that's definitely an option. However I found that having all the group names in a word doc, and copy pasting each of them x50 and also having both files types exporting at the same time was less time consuming than exporting in two steps and renaming later from a .txt (take name from list in ant-renamer). I still have to do the showing/hiding of each group + exporting slice one by one by hand anyway, so it will never be automated I guess. Plus it doesn't solve the files overwriting each others in the same folder. Before the discovery of adding the suffix directly on the slice name input box, I had to rename after each export to avoid that. But thanks for the suggestion :)

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

So it seems that I managed to make it work (yeah!!!!)
Instead of repeating the whole shenanigan, here is the link to the first thread I have created and the final workflow at the end of it.

Thanks to everyone for your help, and thanks to @Phil_rose for let me use his thread.

Cheers!

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

• 8 months later...
On 2/15/2018 at 4:51 PM, v_kyr said:

I'm under OSX so I used relative Unix paths,

Relative to what? I would assume relative to the Affinity document, but I've had no success outputting to a specified path - either relative or absolute. AD just keeps presenting a dialog when an export is initiated. :| I'm on macOS.

45 minutes ago, Shotster said:

Relative to what? I would assume relative to the Affinity document, but I've had no success outputting to a specified path - either relative or absolute. AD just keeps presenting a dialog when an export is initiated. :| I'm on macOS.

Ok, the absolutely key piece of information I was missing is that you MUST have more than one export format defined in the export persona! Otherwise, AD apparently just ignores the path components which "prefix" the slice name.